r h u b a r b

I totally don't know how to bowl. "I totally know how to bowl. What do you take me for? Unskilled?"

Theodore does not say anything, he simply eyes me before punching in our names in this computer thing.

We came here with his car (so I'm discovering that he's actually a rich kid, but anyway) and we ended up having a disagreement about food. He is rich and lean, of course he can afford expensive food from places like Woolworths. I stand by my statement: not all canned foods are unhealthy. He begs to differ.

I settle down in the given seats, eyes scanning this area. It's lovely with its lights flashing in different directions and allowing things to glow neon colours. Even the lining of my shoes are glowing, as well as the graphics on my shirt. That's it.

I look at Theodore; the white of his jacket is glowing as well as his shoes. That's about it. He stands to his true height and looks at me.

"Okay, so I'll go first. You're after me. You know how the game goes." He leans over and presses the button, letting a good row of balls line up. He picks up a ball, walks over to the railway thing, swings the ball nicely before letting it go. It goes all the way straight, curving a bit and missing the first pin.

Eight pins go down. This machine thing picks up the remaining pins, sweeps away the fallen ones, and then places the standing pins back. I watch as Theodore grabs another ball, repeats his same action and it hits the first pin, completely missing the second. Scores are reflected on the screen above us, and if I knew how to read it, it would have made sense but I simply pout.

He comes over to me and wordlessly tells me to go up. I clear my throat, placing my bag down before tucking strands of my wig behind my ears. I adjust my skirt and then step up, grabbing a ball. With both hands and with my lips rolled in my mouth at how heavy the ball is, I step up to the railway, swing my hands back between my legs and then throw the ball with a Big Bang.

It does not hit the pins. Matter of fact it curves and goes right into the gutter. My cheeks pinch at my skin when I turn to look at Theodore who has an eyebrow raised and head tilted.

"I thought you said you know how to bowl?"

"I do, Theodore." I go and get another ball. "I'm just warming up. Don't be fazed."

I take my second round, repeat the same action and this time it does hit a pin, the one on the far left. I watch as the machine sweeps the pins away and sets up new pins.

I hear Theodore step up and get a ball before coming right besides me, bending down to my height and says; "Hmm, it kind of looks like you don't, but I don't judge." His voice is raspy and low, almost like he only wants me to hear him.

A scoff comes out of me because of his cockiness as I shake my head. "No need to brag, sir."

He chuckles as he steps away from me and towards the railing, throws his ball and hits all pins perfectly. He then turns to me, his green eyes of course glowing slightly due to the neon lights, and he shrugs. "I'm just good, that's all."

I mock him as I grab my ball and head to the railing when the pins are set and ready. I repeat my very own action; swing the ball between my legs and then toss it. Without shame, it rolls to the gutter right at the end and the white pins mock me when they are lifted and the sweeper sweeps what should have been fallen pins.

My cheeks are heated, my lips pouted and my shoulders sagged. I turn to him and watch as he folds his arms over his chest and gives such a mischievous look. "Okay... help me."

"Please."

"Help me, please." I drag the word out.

"Good girl." He steps up closer to me and points at the ball, all whilst I have a mental breakdown because what the heck did he call me? It's not the first time he calls me this. "Take the ball, I'll show you how to hold it."