a p p l e s

"So," the staring contest I have with my house cuts short when Francois speaks up. I blink and turn to him. "School on Monday... maybe you can hang out with my friends and I. I think you're kinda cool, and a risk taker."

He, Francois, was being a huge sweetheart and offered to drop me home. Would have been nice if he and I actually spoke in the car, but he was on a call with his girlfriend who almost refused to hang up. Only when he made it seem like he really had to go as it was an emergency, did she decide to drop. How unfair and inconsiderate. So the car ride home had me bored and staring out the window, every second wishing he didn't pick up her call.

Speaking of calls, three people did call me, to which I did not call back. Again, I wanted Francois and I to have this dreamy amazing car ride but that didn't happen. It didn't make sense for me to call back anyone and have the both of us on a phone call in an enclosed environment.

I smile at his compliment. "Thanks. I think about it but I don't know what my friends will think-"

"Oh no, I meant you. Just you. Not really including your friends. I know them and, I don't know... I just kind of don't vibe with them. You, on the other hand, are different. I want to spend more time with you and I bet my friends would be cool with it if they knew you a bit more, like I got to, today."

I pause in thought. I've ditched them for Theodore, but they knew and understood (doubtfully) to an extent, but ditching them for Francois? That's going to be tricky.

"I'll just have to think of it. Give me some time,"

"Yeah, no, of course. However long is fine with me."

The first two calls were from Theodore. True to his word, he called at two. Twice. He did not even send a message or whatever. Just two missed calls from him and that was that. My mother called ten times, but also never left any messages because she prefers phone calls. I'm her daughter occasionally harassed by her, I would know. I can only think of a handful of things why she'd call me so many times, but I cannot pinpoint it. My father called too, perhaps because of my mum. She probably thought I was avoiding her so she made him call.

All of these calls I did not see because I had Francois keep my bag. So naturally, I'm a tad bit anxious to go inside and never hear the end of what she has to say.

What does, however, make me more anxious is the fact that here's a police car in the driveway, right next to my father's car. With that, I know my mother probably did something to have them rock up, or something terrible happened that doesn't exactly involve her.

I lick my lips and glance at Francois. "You didn't win first place today. I forgot to ask but... I thought you always win."

"Not always, but I didn't win because I didn't go as fast as I usually would." He smiles softly and rakes his hair away from his face. "Didn't want to make you even more uncomfortable and uneasy with that. I still won third place, so, that's no issue."

I can't even believe my heart is fluttering right now. "How considerate. But you should have just been comfortable doing what you do best. I would have never wanted you to slow down just because of me."

He shakes his head, leaning his hand over and tapping my hand resting on my lap. "Don't worry about it much. I didn't mind one bit. Being safe is better than winning sometimes. Besides, I have to let other people win for a change."

We both chuckle at that, his slight cockiness.

"Well then, let me go inside. Thanks for today; and thanks for the ride. For both rides, actually."

Francois smiles back, nodding his head. "We should do this again. Or maybe something else? Or just hang out and talk. Whatever works for me."

"I'm down."