a p p l e

Bored out of my mind.

I glance over at him, Theodore. I should have told those people to move seats so I could sit next to him... but I'm not the type to do that unless it's urgent.

But this is urgent! They aren't even giving him the time of day, what a waste of time for me to sit here and stare at him as time goes by so slowly. When is lunch hour? I could so use a break. And bother him. That's what I want.

Maybe I should tell them to move seats so I could sit next to him. Here I am seated next to people talking to their own people, and that's the exact same thing happening for him too. I should sit next to him. I reach my bag on the floor, ready to get up and make some changes when our lecturer speaks up.

"Alright, so you know how this works. We have group assignments and we have individual assignments. This time, you will be put in groups, because last semester was a huge mess and disaster, trusting you guys to do it yourselves. I have a sheet here with the names in groups, so I will call your name and tell you which group you're in. After that, we can discuss the topic, what I want from you guys, and all of that fun stuff. I do hope you take this seriously, because some of you guys were full of games."

People make slight comments here and there and she leans over and grabs her file, giving it a few seconds of her attention.

I hear people whisper amongst themselves about the groups they were in last semester. Some sound glad to be put in groups this time, and some complain that they won't be with friends.

I spare Theodore a glance, watching as he fixes a few strands of his neat hair, his tongue stuck out slightly as if he's in thought.

I need to be in his group. I have to.

"Okay, okay. The names." She starts off, calling names and giving them a group number. So far she hasn't called my name, but she hasn't called Theo's name either. Until she does.

"Palesa, Theodore, Yugesh... Faith, Bobo and... hmm, Khanyisa. You guys are group five. Are you all here?" My heart throbs when they respond and raise their hands as confirmation. "Who's missing, Khanyisa? Where is she? Or he?"

"She's absent today. Something about dentist." Somebody answers, who I can assume is a friend.

"Okay, well the group will contact her and let her know she's in their gro-"

"Actually, can I be in their group?" I raise my hand quickly, waving to get her attention. "Khanyisa is not here, so why not let me in the group instead?"

To say I can feel Theodore glaring at me is an understatement. Good thing he isn't Homelander from The Boys.

The lecturer shakes her head slowly. "Ahm, no, thank you. You'll be in another gro-"

"Please! The group I was in last semester was a mess, and my marks were proof. The group you just called out seems like it has hard and determined workers, and I need that this semester. I need to pass, and I need to work with people who are willing to work. Put me in their group. If I mess it up or cause chaos, the group can hold me responsible and you can move me to another group, but please. Put me in their group, my marks depend on it."

There's a good moment of silence before small whispers are raised. The lecturer looks at her file once again, tilting her head as she sighs softly. I bit my lip, crossing my fingers as she processes it all.

I glance at Theodore who seems to be doing the exact with his fingers, except his eyes look closed. Another person catches my eyes; it happens to be the eyes of a black girl. She simply gives me a blank look, and her fingertips tap away on the table. I blink away from her.