FORTY TWO

◜       ◝

◜                                                           ◝

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗬 𝗧𝗪𝗢
𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒇𝒊𝒆𝒍𝒅

◟       ◞

・・・・☆・・・・☆ ・・・・

"I've had more black eyes in the last month than I've ever had," Pope commented as the five of them sat around a log fire in John B's backyard, roasting marshmallows. On the way back to his house, they explained all the new information that they had received: they found Denmark Tanny's diary and it revealed something about the gold cross and this supposed Island Room. Kyla had no clue on what any of it had meant, but she was glad that they were getting closer to solving this whole thing.

"That was building up for years. Rumble in the jungle," JJ rhymed, causing them to chuckle softly before he burnt himself on the marshmallow. Kyla didn't have time to respond to his confession, and she wasn't sure when she would. Honestly, she was glad because she didn't even know how to respond to it in the first place.

"Hey, did you really stick up for Sarah?" John B asked Kiara, causing Kyla to look over at them.

"Of course I did," Kiara answered, chewing on a marshmallow. "She's not a real Kook. Just like Ky." Kyla sent her a sister a small grin, placing a piece of her slightly burnt marshmallow in her mouth.

"Right," John B muttered.

"Yeah, tell that to Topper," Pope said as JJ waved his burnt hand around.

"I can't believe he tried to fight you again," Kyla mumbled, shaking her head in disbelief. She thought that after he helped her save Sarah, that he would be a changed man. She thought wrong.

After a second of silence, John B said, "I just want one bite. That...mmm." He had taken Kiara's chocolate bar and bit into it.

"What are you doing? No! Stop!" Kiara exclaimed, causing Kyla to laugh.

"You're not having any of mine," JJ commented.

"I thought you were gonna share," John B said with his mouth full.

"I spent the last of my money on that," Kiara told him, shaking her head.

"Sixteen years in most federal prisons..."

"Well...I'm stealing your marshmallow," Kiara countered as she picked up the stick that had a marshmallow on it and began to eat at it.

"I believe that's a...not even a fair trade," Pope said, a matter-of-factly."

"It's not at all. Not even close," Kiara laughed.

"Hmm, I would have to argue that, chocolate is pretty good," Kyla said with a shrug.