41

"You're not going back to that place. You're staying with me." Mrs. Yuh spoke as she heaved, carrying a big suitcase into her humble abode.

"Tyler is gonna be bringing the rest of your stuff later."

Sunghoon followed her inside with another suitcase in hand.

He took a look around the house and almost smiled at the amount of color.

There was different cushions with light shades of green and pink on a plain white couch.

There was a patio, where Sunghoon could already spot a bunch of flowers and plants.

It was almost hurting his eyes.

But it was so Ms. Yuh.

"It might not be as big as your house but it sure is homier." She joked as she put down the suitcase with a huff.

"I cleaned up the guest room, which is your room from now on. Don't worry there's no crazy patterns in there."

Sunghoon walked around the living room as he stared at the pictures on the shelves.

It was Ms. Yuh when she was young, some pictures with what seemed to be her siblings, and some pictures of her graduations.

His eyes soon stopped on the last picture frame.

It was a small Sunghoon, sitting on the kitchen island of his now old home, with a tub of ice cream in hand.

He had the biggest smile with chocolate ice cream all over his cheeks.

"Do you remember when I took that picture?" Ms. Yuh asked as she caught up to him.

Sunghoon shook his head as he stared at himself in awe.

He had never seen an old picture of himself, besides the school ones.

He had no home videos or pictures. He had never seen himself when he was that young.

Mr. Park never cared about things like that.

"I snuck you some chocolate ice cream on your birthday. It was the first time you tried it. You had just turned 5 and my sister had just bought me a new camera. This was the first picture I took." Ms. Yuh reminisced as she switched her view from the picture to the grown boy that stood in front of her with a proud smile.

Seeing himself in that picture, made Sunghoon emotional.

It made him realize how many things he was robbed of as a child.

He didn't even have a birthday celebration.

He couldn't recall when was the last time someone congratulated him, except for Ms. Yuh.

He was always alone on days like that.

He didn't have any friends to spend his 18th birthday with and all he did that day was sit in his room reading a book.

It made him realize how sad his life truly was and how grateful of Ms. Yuh he needed to be.

"Anyways, let me show you to your room, we need to get ready."

*****

Sunghoon blankly stared at his father's casket.

He couldn't bring himself to cry.

It was a cloudy day, and the funeral was being held outside, oddly enough.

Mr. Park's funeral was packed with some of his men who joked to themselves as if this was a Saturday game night.

None of them seemed to be too interested in mourning or even the body of their boss who passed, but more interested in what happened in the last baseball season.