29

"Now look at this! This is called hard work and perseverance! Plus a little bit of cheating." Trenton said as he sat down on the table placing his report card at the center for everyone to look at.

"So? Do you expect us all to cheer?" Olivia sassed as she continued eating her lunch without looking up.

"Well yes! As the supportive friends you should be, that's what I would expect from you." Trenton answered as he started eating his lunch.

Angelica and Jake were both quiet as the rest of the table joked about Trenton's bad grades.

Suddenly the table went fully quiet and only some gasps were heard, as everyone looked behind them. Angelica looked up, seeing Sunghoon walk inside in a long sleeve white shirt. She looked closer to figure out why everyone was gasping and noticed the back of his arm from his elbow to his wrist, was stained with blood, making her grimace.

He once again had bruises on his face and his lip was swollen again.

How didn't a teacher say something about the state he was in?

Angelica balled her hands into fists under the table, blinking away her tears that were about to weld up in her eyes. She couldn't take her eyes off him as he walked through the cafeteria with the same amount of confidence that he always had.

"Now we know why he wasn't here for morning classes." Yu Ahn said as she stared at him walk towards the vending machine.

"He probably killed someone. We all know how his family is." Trenton joked loudly as he let out a giggle, getting back to his food.

It was so obvious he said that so Sunghoon could hear.

Angelica almost said something but Jake beat her to it.

" You should just shut the fuck up." Jake said as he looked up from his Physics book towards Trenton.

"What did you say?" Trenton asked with his eyebrows raised.

"I said, shut the fuck up if you don't want to get your ass beat again." Jake said placing emphasis on his words as he closed his book.

"Yu Ahn, control your dog."

Yu Ahn didn't know what to do, so she decided to stay quiet.

"You should control your mouth Aussie, that's what you should do." Trenton continued to say as he slowly stood from his chair, trying to intimidate Jake.

Jake also stood up from his seat placing his book down on the table with a sigh. Angelica stood up with him.

"What are you going to do about it?"

"I'll pulverize you."

Jake let out a chuckle as he grabbed a chip from his bag and calmly ate it, after doing so he dusted off his hands and invited him to hit him, turning his head and gesturing towards his cheek with both of his hands.

"Go ahead. I'll wait." He said with a raised eyebrow.

Trenton swung his arm but it never reached its destination. His forearm was being held by Sunghoon who was holding his juice in his other hand.

Trenton slowly turned to look at him with a glare. Sunghoon roughly let go of his arm, slightly pushing him back by doing so.

"You should sit back down." He nonchalantly said as he stared into Trenton's eyes.

Both Angelica and Jake stared at Sunghoon in shock as he was suddenly defending Jake.

He looked paler than usual and his eyebags were prominent. It was obvious he hadn't gotten any sleep. He looked sick.

"What? Are you dog and cat again?" Trenton teased as he gestured to both of them. Sunghoon looked at Jake for a few seconds, suddenly meetings eyes with Angelica.

It had been at least a week since he's looked at her in the eye, but it felt like an eternity. Like he hadn't looked at her in centuries. She looked angry and he wasn't sure if she was angry at him.

He looked away and back towards Trenton.

"Sit down. That's all you have to do."

"Are you gonna beat me up again? Do it! Show everyone once again, how you are just like your father."

"Why the hell are you so annoying?" Angelica said this time and everyone looked at her in shock, including her two new friends Yu Ahn and Olivia.

"Oh new girl. You're not on my side?" He cackled as he looks towards Yu Ahn, pointing at Angelica as if it was a show to look at.

"I don't side with people who can't take responsibility for what they say. You better sit the fuck down."

"This is so funny. The dog trying to bark, the criminal threatening me, and the new girl being a bi-"

Suddenly Trenton was tightly grabbed by his hair and he squealed like a pig. Sunghoon pulled him by his hair back to his seat. Once he was sitting, Sunghoon pulled harder.

"Talk shit again." He said lowly, pulling his hair one last time before roughly letting him go making him almost slam his forehead against the table.

After doing so, Sunghoon lazily walked out of the cafeteria, taking a sip of his juice.

Jake let out a snort at Trenton's squeal and so did Angelica, who grabbed both of their things so that they could sit at another table.

Yu Ahn stared at them as they walked to the table Sunghoon used to sit at, debating whether she should go with them or not. At the end she decides to stay where she is.

Meanwhile, Jake and Angelica held in their laugh.

"He was so scared since the beginning, it's so funny." Jake said as he giggled.

Angelica just smiled and looked towards the door.

"You should go check on him. Go on." He urged her.

"Are you okay by yourself?" Angelica asked as she was looking over at the table where Trenton was now rubbing the back of his head.

"Of course I am. I am a grown man."

Angelica looked back at Jake with a small laugh and nodded, standing up from the table and walking out.

***

Once she was out of the cafeteria, she turned to look at Sunghoon's usual spot, not seeing him there. She looked around trying to find him but to no avail.

She decided to walk down the hallway and up the stairs to check the main room. But she was stopped in her tracks.

Sunghoon was laying at the bottom of the steps face down. Blood was oozing out of his arm forming a small pool on the floor and blood was coming down from his nose.

Angelica let out a gasp and immediately ran towards him. She softly tapped his cheek to try to wake him up, but there was no reaction.

"Sunghoon." She continued to repeat as she continued to tap his cheek and his shoulder blade, tears were starting to fall from her eyes as she continued to call his name.

At first, she couldn't figure out what to do, but her thoughts were saying to call a teacher or the nurse.

She quickly stood from her spot, getting dizzy because of her low iron, but continuing to run towards the first classroom she sees and slamming the door open. Lucky enough, she sees a teacher in there.

"Sir- there's a student, he-he's laying at the bottom of the stairs, he's losing so much blood, please help him."