14

After almost two hours of following Yu Ahn around the mall, they finally decided to leave and stop at a restaurant. Angelica sighed in relief once they finally sat at a table. Her legs were already burning and she was so hungry that her stomach had been growling for the last 20 minutes.

"Finally." Jake sighed as he leaned back on the chair.

"Oh don't exaggerate! We've been walking for like an hour, it hasn't been that  long Jake." Yu Ahn said as she let out a giggle, placing her countless bags next to her chair. Jake rolled his eyes with a small smile and looked towards Angelica who raised her eyebrows in amusement.

"Anyways since Jake drove us here, I'll pay." Yu Ahn stated as she grabbed the menu.

"No I should treat." Angelica said with a smile and Yu Ahn rapidly shook her head.

"No, I'll pay. It's my welcome gift to you." She said with a smile.

Angelica reluctantly nodded and looked down at the menu, picking something that is remotely not that expensive to not make Yu Ahn waste too much money. The waiter came and went quickly since everyone was quick to order and as soon as they ordered Yu Ahn stood from the table.

"I need to go to the bathroom." Yu Ahn said as she walked away.

Jake opened his mouth to say something but a loud sound interrupted him. They both hurriedly looked in the way of the sound, seeing a worker with a manager tag bowing continuously to two men at a table. The menu was slammed on the floor and one of the men stood from his seat. 

"What do you mean I can't get my food for free? Who do you think you are kid?"

The restaurant that was once buzzing with life was now quiet and focused on the interaction in the middle of the restaurant. If a pin dropped it would be heard by the entire place. 

The man looked around at everyone around him with a scary smile.

"Does anyone in this restaurant want me to pay for my meal?" He yelled out and everyone was quiet.

Angelica looked around to everyone in confusion as they all looked away. They faced their tables or the windows. Even Jake.

Suddenly a cough was heard from the table next to Angelica's and the man suddenly rushed over pulling out a gun. He pointed it at the man who had coughed.

Everyone in the restaurant gasped and some let out yelps. Angelica jumped out of fear. Jake softly placed his hand at the back of her head to turn her focus to the table just as he was doing.

The man let out a chuckle at everyone's reaction and turned around to face the manager again who had placed her shaking hands over her head in fear. 

"So am I getting my meal free or not?"

The girl hurriedly nodded her head, tears threatening to leave her eyes. The young man that was sitting at the table with him stood from his seat and walked up to his boss. The man had a smug look on his face and the younger one was very nonchalant. 

"Have a great night everyone!" He hollered with a laugh.

Angelica looked at them through the side of her eye as they walked out of the restaurant. 

Everyone stayed quiet for a few seconds after they left.

"Who was that man?" Angelica whispered holding her tears in and Jake finally let go of the back of her head.

"People just call him Mr. Park. I don't really know his real name." Jake said as he looked at Angelica. "If you happen to see him around again make sure not to look him in the eye. He doesn't like that."

 Angelica looked out the window as she stared at the man who was getting inside an expensive looking white car with a smile on his face. They soon took off but Angelica still couldn't stop shaking as her eyes couldn't leave the spot that the car was once parked.

"Are you guys okay?"

Both Angelica and Jake jumped as they got startled by Yu Ahn who abruptly sat down.

"I stayed in the bathroom once I saw what was going on. I was too scared to come out."

The waiter suddenly came, shakily placing their food on the table.

"Enjoy your meal."

Jake and Yu Ahn just grabbed their utensils and dug in. Angelica stared at them in disbelief.

How could they just continue as if nothing happened? 

She looked around at the rest of the restaurant who continued to talk as if nothing was going on. Even the man who had a gun pointed at his head a few minutes ago was already digging into his food again.

Jake noticed her look and looked away from her and back to his food.

"We're all used to this. This town is crazy sometimes. The only thing we can do is just move on."

"We can't call the cops?"

Jake shook his head and continued to eat. 

Angelica suddenly had lost her appetite. She couldn't even look down at her pasta. She was still terrified. Her mind was raising over the many things that man could've done in this town that went unreported.

She didn't consider this town dangerous at the start but now she's realizing all the hints that were given. Her mother having her come home before it gets dark out, Sunghoon saying that people don't like going out at night, and her father not letting her walk alone anywhere.

Angelica looked down at her food and remembered Yu Ahn was paying for it.

I should at least eat some of it.

She grabbed her fork and took a bite of her pasta.

"What do you think about it?" Yu Ahn asked trying to break the awkward environment.

"It's great." Angelica answered with a forced small smile.