𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝗠𝗶𝗻𝗲 ❤︎

Prompt- Maria falsely assumes you've cheated on her, the both of you break up and you leave S.H.I.E.L.D. You were invited to a party by Tony Stark, and you get jealous of Steve for... Reasons.

-

"Maria, you can't actually be serious, right?" You asked, shaking your head into your hands. To say you were pissed was an understatement. Being falsely accused of cheating wasn't on your to-do list for a Monday Morning.

"I saw the text messages Y/N. You can deny it all you want, but I've got the proof I need!" She hissed at you, holding up past messages from your phone. Your eyes widened, as you read the texts.

"Maria, this is such a big misunderstanding. I don't think you understand who that is-" You spoke, only for Maria to cut you off. Her face was evident with pain and betrayal.

"It says it right here! 'Y/N honey, I don't think you should tell her yet.' Oh! And let's not leave out the, 'Sweetheart, just give it a little bit of time." Maria hissed in a girlish, mockingly tone.

"No no no, babe you've got it all wrong! Just let me explain-" You tried to reason with her, but it ended up with you getting cut off again.

"Explain what? I'm... I just.. I feel stupid for ever trusting you." Maria mumbled, tiredly. She looked down at the floor then back at you, only to let out a sigh.

"We're breaking up. I think you should leave, Y/N." Maria stated bluntly. Her words pierced through your heart like a knife. The most painful part of it all, was how well Maria could hide how she was feeling. She looked so unbothered, it hurt.

"Maria, I promise you that if you let me explain, it will all add up. Please just don't do this. I love you." You reasoned, reaching out to hold her hand. Not only did Maria jolt back at your sudden action, but she flinched at those three words.

"Y/N. I said, I think you should leave." Maria repeated, her eyes fixed onto the door. You sighed in defeat. A temporary defeat. There was no way you could give up on her.

"Maria, I'm not giving up on you okay? I'm only leaving because they're your wishes, not mine." You explained, still getting no answer.

"I love you, Maria." You told her softly, walking out the door with a tear trailing down your face. You knew you could never give up on her, and you just hoped that she hadn't already given up on you.

Right now, you thought she deserved some space.

Two Years Later

It has been two years since your last encounter with Maria. You've tried many times to get hold of her, but she cut you off. You even tried to visit her at some point, but she moved out of your shared apartment days after the break up.

You quit S.H.I.E.L.D that day. You knew neither Fury or Maria would welcome you back into the compound with warm smiles. The word probably spread quicker a disease. Sometimes you'd wonder what they might've said about you.

Quitting being an Agent did have its peaks though. It made you choose healthier life choices.

Not only do you have a stronger bond with family and friends, which you probably never would have had while working under S.H.I.E.L.D, but you also have more ease knowing your life isn't in constant danger on a daily basis.