Chapter 9 ; Meet Rosie

-

Morning comes by just as quickly and you find yourself up before Clementine or AJ.

That doesn't last long though and before you know it you're all heading upstairs to Marlon's office. The walk is short, as you listen to AJ and Clementine talk to each other.

You're still not sure what you want to do. You're not even sure why there should be something you should do. Part of you tells you to just go with the flow and it'll all work out, another half of you is telling you to get back on the road before you get yourself hurt. 

Again.

There's no reason for you to stay. There's no reason at all. So you're not sure what's holding you back.

AJ rushes into the office, you and Clementine not trailing too far behind. Wordlessly you open the door for her and step inside. You're greeted with the sight of AJ sitting down and Tenn playing with some toy cars and some emergency service people, things like police, firemen, EMTs, things like that.

You also immediately notice the rundown state of the room; Cracked walls, trash and cans splayed out all over the floor, it even looks like something was burning at some point. Though the room smells like nothing disgusting- actually- it doesn't smell like anything at all now that you think about it.

Tenn looks up and immediately grins when he sees you and Clementine trailing not too far behind. "Hey guys," He says.

You give a short wave and kneel down next to AJ. "Oh yeah, thanks for the pencils Clem, I missed having color."

She shakes her head dismissively, kneeling down opposite of AJ. "No problem."

AJ picks up a firefighting dog toy off the ground, staring at it curiously. "Who are these guys?"

Tenn looks at the firefighter in his hand. A content expression plays on his features and he tilts his to look at the face etched onto it. "They're firefighters."

AJ picks up another toy. "That one's a policeman," Tenn says. He goes back to skating his toy firetruck against the ground. "She's gonna save the day."

AJ stares at the toy for a moment, seeming to be in thought. You wonder if it's difficult for him to understand the world since he doesn't really know how it was before, but then again, he's shown signs of not really understanding it so it's likely. He shakes his head abruptly and looks back up at Tenn with confusion. "But what are they?"

"They..." He sighs shortly and his face falls slightly. "They were the people who protected us."

AJ looks up at Clementine. "Where are they?" He glances over at you next on his opposite side. "I've never seen one before."

"They're still out there. Some day maybe you'll meet one." Clementine replies.

AJ inspects the toy with a soft grin now. The sight of his child-like awe makes the edges of your heart melt just a little. "That would be cool."

"Super cool," You say, making him glance at you before looking back at the toy.

"Now give it to me and.."

AJ leans back, taking the toy out of Tenn's reach. "No- he's mine now."

You raise your eyebrow at his harsh words, glancing at Clementine. You immediately remember what she said last night about this being his first time around someone his age, so it's probably expected he doesn't know how to behave.

But still, she glances up at you slightly worried before rising to her feet.

"Okay okay- that's enough," She interrupts their bickering as she takes the toy from AJ's grasp.