Chapter 8 ; Card Games

-

You sit at the table with AJ and Clementine, a little shocked when a bowl of food is placed in front of you. This is definitely impressive in comparison to the breakfast you had earlier and the lack of food you had last night.

You roll up the sleeves of your hoodie and set down the bag on your back onto the ground. You waste no time after that getting to eat the delicious smelling food in front of you. You're used to this, usually you're doing this in settlements though. Not some random school you stumble upon in the middle of nowhere.

For some reason that thought makes you feel really small. How much of the world could you explore before your time was up?

You eat surprisingly slow and AJ's loud slurps catch your attention. He burps and then Louis does too. You let out a light laugh and do the same, and Clementine follows not too far after. The both of you laugh together as AJ burps again at you two.

"Oh good lord," Ruby says, her face curling up in disgust.

"Enough!" Marlon says, slamming his fists down on the table gently.

There's a pause.

He burps too.

The laughter starts up again and Ruby walks away from the table, fed up with everyone. "And goodnighttt Ruby," Marlon says to her as she walks off, and all she does is stick her middle finger up.

After a bit, AJ finishes eating, which you honestly don't find too surprising with the way he was basically guzzling it. The bowl is basically licked clean and the food on the sides of his face makes him look slightly insane you'll admit.

"Clem?" He says sadly, looking up from his bowl. Now you find that surprising. He's still hungry? Sheesh.

Clementine looks at him sadly. "Sorry kiddo, I'm sure they shared as much as they could."

You glance at your half-empty bowl in thought for a second. It doesn't take long to make your decision because before you know it you're patting his shoulder gently. You gesture to the bowl in front of you. He turns to look at you with a big grin once he notices the gesture.

"You sure? You don't have to do that," Clementine says.

You raise an eyebrow with a grin. "It's fine, I'm full anyway."

While that wasn't exactly true none of them needed to know that. But honestly, you can't help but think she already knows because the look on her face tells you all you need to know.

Yeah, she definitely knows.

Nonetheless, Clementine gives you a thankful nod from across AJ.

"I'm all done," AJ says with a content sigh, setting the now-empty bowl down. Damn. He can eat fast as hell. Clementine looks down at her bowl too and nods. "Me too."

AJ glances up at her. "Now what?"

"I'll tell you what," Louis says as he flips his chair backwards with a grin. "It's time for something... very interesting."

In his hands are a deck of cards, which he proudly shows the table. Brody walks past the table, "Oh God, goodnight."

Louis brushes her off. "Vi, it's time."

You glance back and catch Vi getting up from where she sat, leaving Tenn at the table alone.

You tap AJ's shoulder again. He looks up at you questioningly with food smeared across his cheeks. You raise your eyebrows up with a grin, and then gesture with your head towards Tenn sitting alone. AJ glances back at him and then smiles at you before running off.