Chapter 41 ; Take Us Back

- Flashback

It's dark. A glow of orange upon the trees. A house trots up the road, Clementine sits on top. The smell of smoke is pungent through the warm summer air.

"AJ... I'm coming," she mutters to herself.

The house continues up the road, and she finds herself in front of the Fort McCarroll Ranch.

The building is burning.

Ash flutters through the orangish-red hue of air.

She swallows harshly, "No.."

She makes the horse charge forward to the building. She needs to find him. She needs to- A gunshot rings throughout the air, and the horse falls to the ground with her, a bullet in its neck as it breathes its last breaths.

Another shot sounds again, and she hides behind the heap of the horse. She peeks up behind the horse and shoots the man in the neck.

The sound of his gun clicking follows shortly after.

She rises up carefully, stepping over the horse.

She walks up to the man slumped against the gate. She smacks the gun out of his hands, pointing her gun in his face, "I'm looking for a boy.. he's about three years old. His name is Alvin Junior."

The man sticks up his middle finger, holding his neck as he gargles on his blood.

She huffs and leaves him on the ground to suffer. She walks to the building. Gunfire can be heard in the distance the further she walks inside.

A man grabs onto her leg as she passes the front doors, making her jump.

Half of his body has been burned. He breathily coughs, "Please... please kill me."

"Where are the children?" she asks him.

"Please... it hurts so bad," he breathes out, his hand outstretched to her.

She realizes she isn't going to get any info out of him like this. She puts him out of his misery.

She starts walking forward again. Someone's shooting at the end of the hall, the smoke surrounding them as they yell curses at whoever they're shooting at.

He turns in her direction with a groan, "Another one?! Fuck you!"

She hides behind some crates as he starts shooting. His bullets whizz over her head. And once he reloads she stands, shooting him right in the arm.

He falls to the ground with a scream of pain, and she rushes over. She grabs him by the back of his hair, pulling him to look up at her as she holds her gun to his head.

"I'm not messing around!" she seethes. She jerks the gun under his chin, making him whimper in fear. "Tell me where the kids are."

"Jesus! Okay- they're that way," he points to the left with a shaky finger.

"There's a nursery right over there... But I'm not letting one of you savages take another kid!" he pulls out his knife.

She reacted quickly and grabbed his wrist, shooting him in the chin. He falls to the ground dead.

She goes to the direction he told her, pushing past a still-running car in the middle hallway. She looks around nervously. There's no one in sight. She soon notices all the beds around.

This must be where they all slept.

She looks around and sees a door further to her left. A yellow glow emits from the bottom, letting her know someone was potentially inside. She approaches it slowly, and it creaks as she opens it.