Chapter 2 ; Clementine And AJ

You finally get the door open, and to your luck, there weren't any hungry zombies on it.

You glance around, your eyes immediately catch a pair of zombies sitting in a chair next to each other. They groan at your entrance, their glossy eyes watching you and MIlo, you deduce it to they most likely heard you when you were trying to get the door open.

You pay them no mind once you realize they weren't getting up any time soon, and go back to checking the place. You try a door a bit of distance from them, and it's locked shut.

You grab your flashlight from your bag and look inside one of the holes to the back room, which you're pretty sure is the ticket booth. There doesn't seem to be much in there from the angle you can see, but you weren't going to go in there so carefree if you got the door open.

Regardless you sigh, putting the flashlight back in your bag and you turn to examine the room before you. Milo seems to be on edge with the zombies sitting in the chair, which have been groaning nonstop since you've gotten in here, so you walk over to them.

You immediately notice a key attached to the man's hip. Your eyes flicker to the giant metal door that wouldn't budge, assuming that he has the key to that then.

You glance down, noticing a slip of paper on the floor. You pick it up and realize it's a note and it reads, 'Please leave us alone, this is what we wanted.'

You pick up a bottle that also seemed out of place next to the couple, reading the label.

It's poison.

A wave of shock floods your body as you're reminded of your mother. She had gotten bitten one day and told you to shoot her, even with your childish way of thinking she'd somehow survive the bite. You couldn't live without her, you knew you couldn't, so you told her no. The next day you woke up she was found lying there, her gun in her hand and a hole of a bullet visible in the middle of her forehead.

You found a note next to her cold body that left you with many unanswered questions. It told you to promise her something, to never give up.

Your stomach twists and your eyes water as you glance up, your glossy eyes now staring at the couple before you. You grip the paper in your hand so tightly it crumples, a numbing feeling of pins and needles washing over you makes your head spin.

You close your eyes as you try to focus on your breathing that was continuously growing out of control, images of your mother flashing through your mind.

The sound of the bell outside grabs your attention immediately, your body almost feels too weak to move yet you force yourself to anyway, forcing your body to run on autopilot as you stand.

You drop the paper in your hand and wipe your eyes, peering through the windows, considering your options. There's only really one exit, which would be the front door. You thought about pretending to live here, a thought you immediately passed up considering the zombies tied up some steps away from you.

A girl that seems to be around your age and a little boy that seems to be no older than 10 stands at the tire swing talking to each other. You sigh, praying that this won't go badly.

You step outside with your gun in hand, unsure how to approach the two. They immediately react to the sound of the door shutting, the little boy draws his gun and aims it at you. You raise your eyebrow and aim yours at him too, not wanting to take the chance and find out if he was a good shot or not.

"I'm friendly if you are," you speak, your voice coming out a little harsher than intended.

The girl around your age seems to tell him something and he hesitantly drops his gun, a guarded glare still directed towards you.