Chapter 38 ; Going Home

- 💀damn i haven't updated since february... gonna double upload to make up for it! the next chapter is crazy- and i'm just getting started on it 👀

You all come to a clearing. The night air is cold, the sounds of crickets and birds the only thing your ears could hear.

You think weirdly enough... it's peaceful.

There's no zombies lurking around every corner right now, no explosions, traps, or weird raiders coming to get you. It's just you, Clem, AJ, and Tenn.

The torch dies out as the wind brushes past you all. Clementine drops it with a huff and that's cue enough for you all to start walking again. Your movements are cautious regardless of no obvious threat, stopping ever so often to hear over the sounds of all of your footsteps.

"Coast is clear," you murmur, looking around past the trees.

Clementine looks around. "If the shore is that way... then the school is probably that way."

You all keep walking at that, confident in Clementine's ability to get you back to the school. You aren't sure how to feel about the quiet.

Every so often you glance back at AJ and Tenn, easily picking up on the slight divide between the two for reasons you can't explain.

Tenn randomly speaks up, "Aasim was the third."

"Huh?" you ask, jerking out of your thoughts.

All of your movements slow to where you stood as you all look at Tenn who seems nervous.

He looks around in thought, only meeting your eyes again when he speaks up,

"The day after AJ killed Marlon. You already know Violet and I voted for you guys to stay."

"Aasim was the third vote," he finishes talking with soft eyes.

"Wait- that means Omar voted us out? And.. and Ruby?" AJ says in shock, turning to Tenn.

"Uh.. yeah," he says nervously, messing with his hands.

"Wow," you murmur in shock, not having any words to say.

"What made you think of that?" Clementine asks curiously.

"Aasim said you both knew how to survive. He could just tell the school would be safer with you all there," Tenn explains. "I voted for you all because I liked you, but his reason, it was better."

He takes a deep breath. "I just... I just thought you should know. Aasim was right. We were safer. We were more scared than we let on when you met us. You made that go away."

"As bad as Marlon was, he still saved these two. You nursed them back to health, we owed you for that," you say.

"Maybe, but still."

"That's still really nice of you to say Tenn, thank you," Clementine says with a smile.

"That's okay. Now that we're out of danger and going back home, it just made me think of it."

Home.

"I like Aasim," AJ says happily, making you snicker.

"If Marlon was still in charge, we'd be taken away to wherever. Or dead. Instead? We fought back, because you all showed us how," he huffs, "We weren't safe with Marlon. Even in his safe zone. We were just... hiding."

The sound of something rustling in the bushes stops any of you from speaking further. Clementine pulls out her knife and you grab your bow. You all stare to where the source of the sound came from, ready to fight if necessary.