Chapter 14 ; A Good Cup Of Coffee

-

You couldn't sleep for the rest of the night even if you tried. Every time you tried your mind would flicker through the images of Brody, Marlon, your mother worst of all. You couldn't leave the room though, you didn't want to have to look at the faces of the rest of the group when you did. To see the anger and sadness that would be on their faces.

So what did you do? You're not even sure you can remember.

The night was a blur of pain and anger no matter what you did, so you decided to just lay on your bed and stare up at the ceiling in thought.

Milo spent the night cleaning himself off from the rainwater and you let him onto the top bunk with you while he did so, him being the only comfort you had as the duo slept. The storm stopped as the sun started rising, peeking through the boards on the windows.

When AJ woke up it wasn't a surprise that he wasn't as chatty as usual. Hell, you expected him to close you off completely. But he didn't, he seemed upset though, no matter what you did to try and cheer him up, and eventually, Tenn came in and gave you guys a coffee maker from the kitchen.

You were glad to know he wasn't mad at any of you, especially AJ since you know this is the first real friend AJ's had.

After you figure out how to use the coffee maker you make yourself a cup and let AJ try it, and you laugh a little when his face scrunches up in disgust. At that moment everything feels like it used to, but you're quickly brought back to the reality of everything when his face settles sadly again.

Not too long after, Clementine wakes up. And the first thing she does is look over to AJ's bed, and she immediately sees you sitting there with a cup of coffee in hand. Her eyes glimmer in the light and you  force a smile her way as you lift your cup up to your lips. You hope she doesn't notice the bags under your eyes, but you know she does with the way she doesn't smile back and just stares at you with worry.

AJ rises and walks over to Clementine, a cup of coffee in his hands. "I made you some coffee. It was in the kitchen. Tenn said that we could have some. I didn't steal it."

She takes the cup of coffee from him and takes a sip, and you're surprised her tongue doesn't get burned when she lets out a soft sigh at the taste.

"I'm surprised you remember how to make it. We haven't had coffee in a long time."

"You put it in hot water," AJ says simply.

"You're right. Thanks."

"Last night? With Marlon? I heard Louis and... and what he called me," AJ says, looking down sadly. "Am I a murderer?"

Your heart clenches at his tone and you feel your head spin as you think about everything that happened just a few hours ago.

- Flashback -

"No!" Louis yells in shock.

"Oh, my God!" Omar says.

"Shit!" Violet says.

"We could get medicine. From the nurse's office." Ruby says in denial as they all step up to Marlon's dead body in shock.

"He's dead! The kid blew his brains out!"

AJ stands above his body with your gun still in his hand, and you can't help but feel responsible for this. Was it your fault that Marlon laid at your feet right now? If you had never told AJ where your gun was... would he still be alive?

"You shot him. He's dead." Louis says in shock as he stares at AJ. "You're a murderer. You promised Marlon! You said you'd help him fix things! What the fuck did you teach this kid?!"