Chapter 6 ; Still Breathing

-

It's difficult to be someone who could say they have good sleeping habits during the apocalypse. You used to be one of those people who could sleep through anything, thunderstorms, screams, fighting, maybe even a damn hurricane if you tried hard enough. But ever since all of this has started you've grown accustomed to waking up at the slightest creak of the floorboards.

Anything that'd keep you alive just a little bit longer.

But last night?

Oh, last night you slept the whole night without issue.

It felt like a callback to your younger self when you think about it, and honestly, it felt damn good to get a full night of sleep without having to worry about anyone lurking around you.

You spent the majority of the morning with Louis, Violet, and Marlon. Currently, you've just come back from outside the gates of the school. Being out there was Marlon's request to help slay some zombies. Though it wasn't the most fun thing in the world, you'd take whatever you could get that'd help take your mind off the duo that still has yet to wake up.

It was eating away at you for some reason, honestly more than you'd ever admit outloud.

And you weren't even sure why you cared so much in the first place, so yeah, you definitely weren't admitting it just yet, even with as obvious as it may be.

After getting some breakfast, you fall into silence as you watch the group around you speak to one another. You probably would've been introducing yourself to them the proper way if you weren't so focused on your thoughts, which seemed to be a recurring thing lately with you.

Eventually, you find your way to Marlon- well, more like he finds you and takes you aside.

He tells you that AJ has finally woken up and the relief you felt was tremendous.

"He's been a little jittery, but he seemed a little calmer when he saw- Milo..? That's his name right?"

You nod, making him nod too and continue speaking.

"Yeah he seemed a little more relaxed when he saw Milo off in a corner somewhere, wasn't much though. I guess he's expecting you."

That must be saying something right?

The thought of a familiar face when things are especially confusing must've been enough to make the younger boy anchor himself a little more. You both step into the school, the sound of footsteps immediately filling your ears. You could barely contain your excitement as you let your eyes flicker everywhere in search of the boy.

"He's with Louis at the moment... I wanted to go check up on the girl first though... if that's okay?" Marlon interrupts your swirling thoughts, making you focus on him.

You nod, trying your best to relax the pride swarming in your chest from the thought of Milo being enough to calm AJ down, even if it was slightly.

You and Marlon walk to the room, Tenn a few steps ahead of you both as he wanted to change her bandages. Marlon falls into a random rant about something and you eventually start tuning him out, trying to piece together everything that's happening lately with you.

A sound of a soft voice fills the halls yet you miss much of what they said, your mind still occupied at the moment.

Eventually, you realize Marlon is ahead of you, not far but in light more than you are.

You step around the corner, and your mind goes blank when you spot Clementine standing there anxiously. You step into the light as her weapon clatters against the ground, though you didn't notice much, your brain solely focused on the fact that she was standing in front of you.