Chapter 17 ; Nice To Meet You, James

-

You and Clementine follow after the strange man and it doesn't take long for him to reach his destination. You can hear AJ lowly groaning in pain in your arms the longer you take to get there and it's not helping the constant worry building in your body. You look down at him sympathetically and he looks up at you before letting his head fall back weakly again.

"There," he says, pointing to a fallen tree.

You stare at him in confusion yet place AJ down on the tree anyway, sliding your bag comfortably under his head. You and Clementine stare at his wound nervously.

The man places a torch down, making Clementine flinch and you glare up at him. He looks around for a moment and then steps on around the opposite side of AJ. He reaches out for AJ and you grab his wrist, making him pause.

You feel Clementine grab your other hand and you apprehensively pull your hand back from him, giving him an anxious nod. He lifts up AJ's shirt and you feel yourself tearing up at the sight of his injuries up close.

"Get the shrapnel out."

"Wha- me?" you sputter out and he nods.

"We'll keep him still," he says.

You pick lift AJ's knife in your hand nervously and pause with a deep breath. You need to do this. For him. You can't lose anyone else. Especially not them.

You carefully remove the buckshots in AJ's stomach with your knife and you try your hardest not to stop every time he lets out a cry of pain. You get the final one out with a relieved sigh but you know it's not over yet.

"Trying not to be loud," AJ weakly whispers.

"It's okay, AJ, just breathe," Clementine responds.

"You're doing great, kid," you murmur, placing your shaking hands on his wounds to stop the bleeding. He nods and looks away. The man comes back with some duct tape, making your eyes widen.

"I've got some bandages in my bag," you say, jerking your head to it and he nods, pausing his actions. Clementine walks over and searches the bag for a moment before grabbing it. She hands you them and you wrap them comfortably around his stomach.

"That's enough, for now," The man says, snapping you out of your daze. You stop but there's nothing left anyway, so you tie up the bandages snugly so they'll stay wrapped around AJ. He wraps the duct tape around his body too and walks away. AJ tries to sit up.

"Easy easy," Clementine says as you try and push him back down gently.

"Where's our stuff? My gun?" he asks.

"This is all we have left, buddy," Clementine sighs out, glancing at your bag left on the ground. Milo sits next to it, boredly staring up at you both. You have no arrows for your crossbow, no guns, just the little to no supplies you have left in your bag and your knives.

"Louis and Violet ran," he sighs, rubbing his eye tiredly. "They're safe."

"Yeah, maybe," you nod and Clementine looks away.

AJ lays back down and looks away from you both. "It sucks."

You and Clementine notice as he starts shivering as the wind brushes past you. You pick him up again and Clementine trails behind you with your bag and Milo as you take AJ to the campfire the man now sits at.

-

You put AJ down and sit down next to him, and Clementine carefully sits down next to you, letting Milo hop out of her grasp. AJ leans onto you weakly and the man starts speaking, "I didn't mean to endanger you. The walkers were sent to help you."