Chapter 3 ; Bombs And Misfits

She goes back to searching the room. You glance at Milo, noticing his uncharacteristically quiet and relaxed energy around new people.

"Why do you have a cat?" You glance up at the younger boy, amusement playing on your features at the question.

"He's been with me through thick and thin, I wouldn't be where I am today without him," You say, a small smile crossing your features as you look at Milo.

He nods slowly at yours words. "So... like me and Clem?"

You laugh a little, "Yeah, just like you and Clementine... except it's not two humans. Just me."

He cracks a cute smile, finally understanding. Your heart warms at the sight. "Can I... pet him?" He asks out of nowhere.

You raise an eyebrow at him, a little unsure yourself if Milo would allow him to do that. You mull it over in your head, his calm behavior so far making you make your final decision.

"Go ahead kid, he doesn't bite."

AJ reaches his hand over, running his hand through Milo's fur.

You smile at the sight once Milo starts purring yet again, leaning into AJ's touch. AJ's eyes seem to sparkle when the small animal starts purring.

"Why does it do that?" He asks, referring to the purrs emitting from the feline.

You shrug, "Not too sure, I just know that means he's happy." You can't help but laugh at the now confused look on his face. "I think he likes you though, that means you're officially cool."

AJ smiles at your words, his eyes sparkling.

"Well, these seem to be the only ways through," Clementine says, interrupting the sweet moment.

You both look up to see Clementine staring into the dark hole of a ticket booth. "I'm pretty sure you could fit in there," She mutters, glancing at him as he walks to her.

He walks over, peering inside for a short moment. "It's dark in there..." He pauses, a bit of nervousness laced in his tone. "We should kill the monsters."

He turns towards the zombies, taking a few steps. "They aren't people."

"Well, they used to be people, And as people, they asked to be left alone,' Clementine says, kneeling down to his level.

"So what should we do?" He asks, nervously glancing at the opening.

Clementine pauses to think, glancing up at you. You raise an eyebrow, leaving the decision up to her.

"I'll get the key," She says after a few moments of staring at you, breaking eye contact to stand.

"I'll get it for you if you want?" You speak up, watching her take her knife out. She glances at you then the zombies, she didn't have to trust you, You weren't expecting her to, honestly.

"Fine," She says, shocking you a little. You try not to let your surprise show as you stretch. You grab the knife from the pocket of your hoodie, walking behind the zombies and next to the duo.

You raise the knife over your head, a brief moment of hesitation stops you.

"Sorry I have to do this," You murmur. You stab directly into the man's head, and it drops. You decide to get his wife too, rather safe than sorry. You ignore the churning feeling in your stomach as you grab the key from the man's hip, handing it to Clementine.

She looks up at you with a genuine smile before taking the key, heading to the open door. You do your best to ignore the heat you could now feel on your face and neck.