The Accords.

They were called to the conference room, the Secretary of State was waiting for them.

"Five years ago," The man was on his feet, he was projecting a few videos. C.C. was at the back of the room, seated next to Tony. "I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing... Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after thirteen hours of surgery, and a triple bypass, I found something forty years in the army had never taught me: Perspective."

C.C. opened her mouth to ask something, but Tony put a finger on his lips, asking her to remain silent.

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives— but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word vigilantes."

"What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Nat questioned.

"How about dangerous?" 

Pietro scoffed, Steve muttered a warning.

"What would you call a group of US-based enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign orders and inflict their will wherever they choose, and who, frankly, seemed unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

C.C. sunk on her seat, Tony placed a hand on her shoulder and squeezed lightly. Secretary Ross moved away and started the video on the screen. 

"New York."

She watched as thousands of people ran. Hulk jumped from building to building, dropping giant debris on top of the citizens. Bruce would've hated to watch himself do those things, but he wasn't there to defend himself.

"Washington D.C."

Images of destruction and chaos were on display, it felt like a compilation of their failures, even though she hadn't been present for most of them.

"Sokovia... Lagos."

Wanda caved in, her friend looked away from the screen and hid her face on her brother's shoulder.

"Okay, that's enough," Steve said roughly.

The Secretary turned off the screen. "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate... but I think we have the solution."

He handed Wanda a bunch of papers. 

"The Sokovia Accords, approved by a hundred and seventeen countries, it states that the avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of the united nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

C.C. and Pietro shared a look, she shrugged without really understanding what this meant for them, being the youngest members of the team.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place, I feel we've done that," Steve replied.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of thirty megatons nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So," James Rhodes began, "there are contingencies."

"Three days from now the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the accords... talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision that you don't like?"

"Then you retire."

As soon as the man left, C.C. turned to Tony.

"Does this mean we're war criminals?"

"You're not a war criminal, kid," Rhodes told her. "You don't appear in any of the records or footage."