thirtysix .

~ Word Count: 2.4k

A melodic song of birds chirp to signal the rise of the early morning sun echoing throughout the soft blue awakening sky. A single light brunette softly creaks open her sister's door, the hallway lights shining upon the sleeping duo on the bed. She chuckles, carefully walking closer to her twin.

Before Ema places a hand to stir her sister awake, she notices her expression grimacing, her brows furrowing as her chest slightly heaves. The light brunette gently palpates her sister's forehead, immediately retracting back by how scorching hot her forehead is emitting. Ema's eyes quickly observes Yuuki's body, noticing her bed sheets creating a silhouette from her absorbed body sweat.

Quietly, Ema swiftly runs to her sister's closet to find the hidden first aid kit and grab their oral thermometer. After cleaning the tip of the thermometer, she inserts the tool into Yuuki's mouth, a tiny beep showing results of her temperature.

"105℉... onee-chan" Ema frowns, huffing a worry sigh.

A pair of eyes slowly flutters open, squinting one eye to notice her sister standing before her in their school uniform. The caramel brunette groans, turning around in Wataru's direction, mumbling to her sister that she'll get up in a little bit.

"Hmph, no you won't! It seems you caught a fever and you need to stay home!" Ema sighs again.

Surprisingly, this statement caught the other brunette's full attention.

"Huh? What do you mean? I'm just fi- *coughs* fine. Look see— *sneezes* All healthy!" A grimace smile wavering on her pale face.

"As if. You're staying home, onee-chan."

Ema taps her sister's nose before leaving the room. However, Yuuki weakly grabs her twin's wrist, a faint pleaful look begging her to let her go to school. "Ema-chan, you don't understand *coughs* I have student— *coughs* c-council business I need to attend to. I can't— *sneezes* afford to b-be absent!"

The light brunette gave a concerned smile, softly patting Yuuki's attempted grip. "You need rest, onee-chan. Please." Ema releases Yuuki's hand, "i'll be right back with your breakfast so stay in bed!"

"B-but—!"

With that, her twin sister beat her by closing the door before she could finish.

Upstairs, Ema arrives at the mezzanine floor then jogs downstairs to start prepping her sister's breakfast. Upon arrival, three other figures filed down the stairs, greeting the light brunette a good morning. As always, a certain silverette skips towards his little sister, attacking her in a tight greeting hug.

"What'ya cooking, my adorable imouto?" Tsubaki hummed.

Ema chuckles, continuing to throw ingredients into the pot. "I'm making ginger rice porridge for onee-chan. It seems that Yu-nee caught a bad fever this morning."

The silverette froze, just learning the fact his beloved crush sister is sick had his heart drop instantly. Without thinking, a breeze flew by all three siblings, a blur of silver hair vanishing to the third floor.

"Yuuki has a fever you said? How bad?" Ukyo walks into the kitchen, wrapping an apron around his waist.

Ema grabs a wooden spoon to stir the porridge, "I checked her temperature earlier and it came out to be 105℉! It makes me worry quite a lot because onee-chan rarely gets sick. Usually it's me that gets sick quite often." She frowns, her hands fumbling with the wooden spoon.

The light brunette feels a hand rubbing her back in a soothing motion. She gazes up to see the usually sophisticated blonde brother giving her a reassuring smile.