Chapter Twenty-Five

David's POV

I was glad that Paul provided a distraction for Ty. Josh was going to get me into trouble with that little comment of his.

Truthfully, Josh was right. I wasn't really committed to polygamy. I could take it or leave it. Gerald knew that and must've spilled the beans to his boy.

Except...

"I really am sorry if I interrupted something— um." Paulie swallowed and I tried not to smile at the halting end to his sentences. It practically caused him pain to not add the word 'Sir'.

"Oh please!" Ty snuggled up on Paulie's arm. "I'm just naked all the time, we weren't doing anything. Want me to get dressed?"

It was fun to watch Paul struggle between not offending Ty and also wanting him to get clothes on. I could easily interfere and tell Ty what to do, but I wanted to learn more about Paul.

"It's okay, you can stay naked," Paulie said, looking anywhere but at Ty.

Hmm.

Ty shot me a triumphant grin.

"Get dressed."

Ty deflated. "Yes Sir." He walked out and muttered under his breath. "So annoying."

"I heard that. Strike one."

Ty pouted. I guided Paulie away from him and into the kitchen.

Everything about Paul was adorable. He'd clearly put effort into his outfit today, judging by the fresh-iron look to his shirt and the gentle floral smell in the air around him. I melted a little when I saw the little turtle that I'd bought him.

"Do you like your turtle?"

Paul's eyes went wide when I addressed him. "Oh! Yes, he's adorable! I bring him everywhere."

With a solid hand to his back, I guided Paulie to his seat at our table. "I'm glad. Did you chose the bow to match him?"

I didn't miss the way Paulie's eyes widened for a fraction of the second. "You noticed?"

I touched the bow in his hair and the boy practically melted. "Of course. It's adorable."

It must've been a bit of torture for Paulie to be around me. He always acted so awkward and unsure; torn between being normal and giving me respect. I wasn't like Gerald, though-- I didn't feel entitled to respect simply for being a Dom. I wanted Paulie to treat me like he'd treat anyone.

"Thank you," he whispered, eyes dropping to the floor. "Um... uh, David." He looked up to make sure I didn't mind being called by my own name. I just smiled at him. "I'm here to be your friend, right? To do little stuff with Ty?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't you be?"

He shifted. "Well, with Ty being naked and all..."

I rolled my eyes. My brat had no sense of shame. "I promise, Ty just doesn't get embarrassed. He was already naked and forgot that most normal people get dressed before answering a door."

"Talking about me?" Ty asked, practically skipping into the kitchen. His outfit was much improved. Ty wore an orange crop top and baggy jeans, along with a shit-eating grin. "I've been behaving, I swear."

Paulie smiled a little. "When don't you?"

"Exactly!"

"Paulie, you like pancakes?" I asked. "I have ingredients for other things, so speak up if you don't."

I made sure to watch his face as he answered. Paul seemed to have a people-pleasing tendency, so I needed to learn his facial expressions now to be an effective Dom to the boy.