Chapter 29

"Admit it."

Jean one day leaned over Erik's armchair, asking with a small smirk on her lips.

Erik looked up from the book in his hands, drawing his eyebrows together.

"I have no idea what you are talking about young La-"

"Come on!", Jean whined, walking around now, sitting down on the ground just between her teacher and the cracking fire behind her.

"Jean, may I remind you that it is past your bedtime already?", Erik hissed slightly.

"But Y/n isn't there to read a story.", she stated blandly, tilting her head.

Erik sighted, closing his eyes while doing so to keep his temper.

"You are way past the age of reading stories. And don't even try to convince me she'd ever read you one to begin with.", he hissed, wanting her to just leave him be.

"I'm not past the age of missing her. Apparently you aren't either.", she looked down while saying so.

"You are acting quite bold.", Erik spoke, his glare icy.

"No! I just don't like that you act like you don't care!", she huffed.
Erik sighted yet again.

"So you want me to admit...what exactly?"

"You like her."

"Well, she is quite a lovely woman and a strong mutant, i don't see a reason not to like her like everyone here does."

"I don't mean that.", Jean whispered, still smiling, her head on the armrest now.

Erik didn't dare looking into her eyes.

"Go to bed Jean.", he said with a long, deep sight.

A longing sight - As Jean would've described it later.

"Will you tell her?"

"Go to bed Jean.", he repeated, his eyes finding hers again, scaring her off.

"Will she come back? Will you tell her then?", Jean insisted, leaning closer.

"I don't know if she will come back and i think it's bedtime for you now.", he calmed his voice, still sounding rough.

Jean went silent.

"IF she comes back. Will you tell her? Do you promise me?"

"Will you finally go if i promise you?", Erik covered his eyes with his hand, exhausted.

"Mmmmh ...yes."
"I will."

Jean jumped up, grinning.

"So you DO like her!"

"Go to bed!", he hissed loudly and she went out grinning to herself.

Erik could hear more laughing from the hallway behind him and some silent voices gossiping.
He silently huffed, shook his head and stared into the fire.
IF. She would come back.

Of course she fucking wanted her to come back.

He didn't understand. She didn't seem like someone who'd leave them behind- Not at all. She was too loyal for that. And too tough to be scared off by him.

The thought of her being in danger didn't leave his mind.
It ate him alive and the anger he felt towards Charles because of that was unbearable.

He could find her. Yet he didn't.
Said that if she'd be in danger he'd know. And that since she isn't she must've left on her own terms.

"Sure. Fuck that.", he hissed silently, his fingers trailing his Martini glass, downing the drink.