04 | bitch slap

☆

LIP WAS INSTALLING A light in Freddie's mostly empty bedroom the next morning. There were three things that took up the majority of the space: his nursery, a dresser, and the rocking chair Tami bought for the baby shower. It was painted a light sky blue now, with white trim alongside the walls. She was proud to say everything was all finally coming together after what it felt like forever.

Amara poked her head through the door to watch him before leaving for work. She leaned her head against the frame.

His muscles stretched through his shirt as he reached up to screw it in, and Amara had to avert her gaze before her brain started thinking things that it was way too early for. Freddie cooed from his crib, and she reached down to kiss his cheek.

"Okay so bottles are made," Amara said, listing off all the things in her head. "His diaper bag is good. There's coffee done already. The stuff for dinner is in the fridge. What am I missing?"

Lip blinked at her and raised his chin. She rolled her eyes and stepped forward to bring her mouth to his. His touch was gentle against her jaw as he titled her head up slightly, and when they broke apart, he was grinning. "Much better."

"Shut up," she couldn't help but smile when he briefly kissed her again. "Oh, and Tami texted me asking me to tell you that Brad needs you to open today. Since you know. You don't ever answer your phone. Ever."

"Open what like..." He trailed off and smirked at her. Amara bent down to throw one of Freddie's toys at his chest.

"Don't be a pervert. It's eight in the morning."

"Acting as if you weren't eye-fucking me thirty seconds ago. Oh yeah, I saw."

The effect Lip still had on her was embarrassing. She felt her face heat up like they were still teenagers. Amara flipped out her middle finger and went to leave the room. "I'll see you for lunch."

"Wait," he called, and she paused. "Turn the light on."

Curiously, Amara flicked the switch, and watched as the room turned dark. Stars and constellation shapes lit up on the ceiling. Amara stared in awe. "You know, I always wanted one of these."

"What, the stick on neon stars I bought you weren't good enough?"

She whacked his arm, grinning. "First of all, even if they hadn't been destroyed in that fire, most of the time I'd wake up with them on my floor."

"You know what I would like on my floor?"

"Don't say it with your six month old son in the-"

Lip tugged her by the belt loop and she felt his mouth work up her jaw. "These. And this." He pulled at her shirt.

Amara pushed his hand down. "Maybe if you behave we'll see what happens."

"Can't wait." She started out the bedroom door again, just as Lip began to say something. "Milton's coming by later."