09 | five days

"WHOSE FUCKING CAR IS that?" Lip asked as Amara climbed out of the front seat, parking in front of the Gallagher household, a grin on her face.

"Mine," she answered. "Well, technically company car, but it's mine."

"Shit, you just got ten times hotter."

She glanced to Fiona. "You guys want a ride to the courthouse? Figured it might be better than paying for the bus."

"Dibs on shotgun," Ian called, almost sleepily. He was a lot paler than usual, and he looked exhausted, but Amara reckoned that must've been the new pills. She smiled brightly at him.

"Good, didn't want anyone else next to me anyway."

"Gonna pretend I didn't just hear you say that," Fiona teased, elbowing her as she walked to the backseat on the driver's side. "Because we all know I'm your favorite."

"Think it's me, actually," Veronica argued, sliding into the middle with Liam on her lap as Lip sat on her other side.

"It's me!" Liam said excitedly as Amara checked the mirrors, grinning at him through it.

"That's right. Liam's my favorite."

Liam clapped and cheered while Lip stuck his tongue out and Fiona fake booed. Amara snickered as she put the car into drive.

They arrived at the courthouse in no time, and the group shuffled into the building. Amara felt Lip take her hand as Fiona held the door open, and the first thing she heard when they got inside was Sammi's voice. It instantly put her in a bad mood.

"Baby, what happened?" She questioned, staring at Chuckie who had just walked in from the back, bruises under his eyes. Maybe she didn't like Sammi, but Chuckie seemed innocent enough, and a part of her felt bad. He'd just been pulled into the chaos, he probably didn't even know what was going on.

"Boys hit me," Chuckie told his mother as they found seating in the row behind the fake blonde. "Called me a rat. Uncle Carl told them."

Sammi turned to glare at Fiona, who returned the gesture with an even more fierce look in her eyes, and Amara shifted in her seat to rest her head onto Lip's shoulder.

"That bitch hit Carl," Fiona whispered, leaning so that both Amara and Lip could hear what she said.

Amara felt a gleam of pride rise in her chest. Sammi's jaw had a bright red mark on it, and a dozen scratches on her cheeks. It was definitely deserved. Lip smirked slightly, "looks like he gave as good as he got."

"All rise," the bailiff ordered, and everyone stood from their seats. "The Circuit Court of Cook County is now in session. The honorable Rita Gaither is presiding."

"Please sit," Gaither said into the mic, and the entire room obliged. "Case number 2014-CR-882655. The People versus Charles Nevins S. This is the time and place for the sentencing hearing. This court has reviewed your probation report. Does the other counsel wish to be heard?"

"Your Honor," a woman sat next to Chuckie stood up. "Defense would like to reiterate that this is defendant's first arrest. He has never been in trouble before, and that he has an IQ of barely functional intelligence."

Amara shared a look with Lip who had ducked his head to hide his smirk. "Would the defendant like to say anything?" The Judge asked, and Chuckie didn't reply. "Charles?"

"Chuckie!" Sammi hissed from her seat.

"What?"

Amara snorted into Lip's shoulder and he pinched her side. "Shut up, don't make me laugh."

"Would you like to say anything before sentencing?" The Judge questioned again.

"Okay," Chuckie nodded, but that was the end of it.

"I would, Your Honor," Sammi announced, standing up. "I'm his mom, may I speak?" The Judge nodded, and she took a deep breath. "My Chuckie is a good boy. The only thing he's ever stolen was my heart. But he was taken advantage by an older family member. If you're going to blame anyone, you should blame his Uncle Carl, or the family who raised him."

"You have five days," Amara mouthed to her. Sammi quickly averted her eyes back to the front of the room.

"Anything else?" Gaither asked, and Sammi shook her head, and sat down. "Prosecution? Then we can proceed to sentencing. This court hereby sentences you to a minimum of one hundred and twenty days at the Illinois Department of Corrections Juvenile Justice Division. Sixty days for good behavior."

"Oh, he'll behave, Your Honor. Right, Chuckie? Chuckie nod!"

"Okay, you remain in the custody of the Sheriff."

"I'll see you before you get on the bus," Sammi told him. "Don't be scared, baby. It's gonna be okay bunny. Remember, be nice to the guards!" Then, Carl, who was dressed in very un-Carl clothing, was led out by another officer. Sammi scoffed and fell back into her seat. "You've got to be fucking kidding me."

"You know," Lip started in a low voice. "If I didn't know better, I'd think he's an upstanding young man."

"Case number 2014-CR-4929. The People versus Carl Francis G. This is the time and place for the sentencing hearing. Court had reviewed your probation report. Does the other counsel wish to be heard?"

"Your Honor, my client knows that he has made a mistake," Carl's lawyer stated. "He is sorry for what he's done, and he has learned from his experience."

"Do you regret what you've done, Carl?"

"I did something really dumb," Carl admitted, and Fiona let out a relieved breath. "And I shouldn't have. I trusted a fucking retard with a man's job. Next time I move a bunch of drugs, I'll be smarter."

Amara face palmed as the rest of them shared looks of disbelief. "If you want to go into my chambers and speak to me off the record, now is the time. Otherwise, you will end up in juvenile prison. Is that what you want?"

"Yes, please."

Fiona threw her hands up, exasperated. "That's not what I was hoping to hear," The Judge stated.

"I know what you were hoping to hear," Carl replied. "If Your Honor would lose twenty pounds, I would consider tapping that."

Amara had to cover her mouth so the laugh wouldn't escape. "I think I've heard enough," Gaither interrupted. "I sentence you to the maximum of one year at the Illinois Department of Corrections Juvenile Justice Division. You're remanded to the custody of the sherrif. This court is in recess."

Carl smirked at his family as the sheriff put his wrists into cuffs. "Don't worry, I'm gonna make juvie my bitch."