04 | cockblock

IT WAS A STRANGE sense of nostalgia living with the Gallagher's full time again. When she was younger, that was all she did. They were an escape from her own abusive household, but she always had the option to go back to when she felt like she'd overstayed. Even if her own home consisted of screaming and the sound of cracking beer bottles due to her father's short temper. That was the difference. Amara always had a home to go back to, but not anymore.

It was even stranger now that she slept downstairs in the living room instead of with Lip—they'd always shared a bed. But even the thought of that made her stomach churn, and she wasn't sure if it was a good or bad thing.

She woke up to the sound of a baby crying from upstairs, and a series of groaning could be heard afterwards from all of the different members of the household as they were interrupted from their slumbers, too.

Lip was the first one who came bounding down the steps, usually it would be Fiona, but seeing as how she resigned her duties as being the parental figure temporarily (at least that's what Amara believed) Lip was now in charge. She didn't know how much of a good idea that was, but it definitely wasn't her place to say anything. Lip was the most responsible yet irresponsible person she knew.

Silvia sat from her end of the couch, stretching and yawning as the noise began to pick up from the kitchen. "Where did you say Margot was again?"

Amara wiped her eyes and pushed herself into a sitting position. "Uh, one of her fuck buddy's I think. It'll just be me and you for the house hunt today."

"Hey losers!" Lip called from the room over. "Get in here and grab some food before these animals take it all."

"Who you calling an animal?" Carl demanded, and Silvia averted her eyes away from him as they stepped into the kitchen.

Amara smirked at him. "You're the one chewing with your mouth open."

Amara had been set on going right back to the Gallagher's after a long day of useless house searching, and what it felt like an even longer day of work before that. Her feet ached, and all she wanted to do was lie back down and sleep all of her problems off, but Fiona insisted on making her come to a party she was hosting at Patsy's.

So there she was, wearing a tight black dress that clung to her ass and curves, one Fiona had forced her to wear, because she made it clear that Amara would be chucked out the window if she showed up in sweats. But it wasn't like she had much of a choice in the clothing department, anyway, so she was grateful Fi was lending her some clothes for the time being.

Amara grinned as she spun Silvia around with her free arm, her other hand gripping the mug, the components inside spilling out as she did so.

"That guy is checking you out!" Silvia yelled over the blaring music, and Amara glanced over her shoulder to see a boy with dark hair staring over in their direction.

Amara turned back to her sister with a raised brow. "I thought you wanted me back with Lip."

"Of course I do! But you should get laid in the meantime."

Amara rolled her eyes. "I'm not talking about my sex life with you."

"There's nothing to talk about."

A gasp escaped her mouth and she went to smack her arm, but Silvia already darted away, giggling loudly.

Amara looked towards the door as it swung open, and in walked a soaking wet Lip, Liam walking in front of him. She watched as Fiona bent down to pick him up, but couldn't remove her gaze from Lip's wet tank-top, which was clinging to his skin. She swallowed and forced herself to focus on something else before he caught her staring.

"Speak of the devil," she muttered, attention caught on the hand that wrapped around her waist, and noticed that it was the guy from moments ago. Oh, fuck it.

"Hey! Turn it up!" Ian shouted, cupping his hands over his mouth so his voice would travel further as he stepped into the restaurant. The music went up, and Amara downed the rest of her alcohol, turning to dance with the stranger who had sidled up to her.

"Hey," he said, ducking lower to her ear. "Wanna get out of here?"

"Can't, I'm on cop duty," Amara replied, allowing him to twirl her, and his hand made its way to the lower part of her back.

"What duty?"

"You know... gotta keep an eye out for them so we know to keep the alcoholic beverages away. Unless you're a cop, because then I didn't say anything."

He laughed. "I'm definitely not a cop."

"Well, good. I wouldn't dance with a cop."

His hand gripped her ass, and she pressed closer, but at the same time she felt a tug on her arm, pulling her backwards. It took her a moment to realize that Lip was now standing between her and the unnamed guy.

"The only thing you should be squeezing around here is that big ass zit on your forehead," Lip sneered, and Amara wanted to feel annoyed, but she couldn't help the laugh that shot out of her mouth. "Go on, get lost."

"Oh, nice one," she applauded sarcastically as the other man scurried away. "You interrupted my dirty dancing."

Lip stared at her, breathing heavily. "I didn't like the way he was looking at you."

Amara huffed, combing a hand through her tossed hair. "And how was that?"

He was standing so close to her now, she could feel his breath as he spoke. "The way I always have."

That was enough to send her stomach into a wave of giddy flurries, but her brain scolded her violently. Stupid fucking emotions! Always getting in the way of my plans. Fucking fuck! Control yourself.

"Cockblock," was what she managed to get out. "You don't have the right to do that anymore. When I said we can start over, I meant as friends, Lip."

He reached forward to tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear. She stilled as he smiled weakly. "I know."

She groaned as Lip went to dance with the crowd. "Ugh!"