08 | let's roll

tw // abuse

"HAVE YOU SEEN MARGOT since yesterday?" Amara asked, shuffling through the cereal boxes in the cabinets, struggling to even think about eating one without feeling nauseous. Silvia looked up from the paper she was drawing on.

"She came back from that interview and locked herself in her room."

Amara blinked, pausing what she was doing, before shaking her thoughts and siding the bowl into the microwave. "Lovely."

Silvia lifted her shoulder into a shrug. "Maybe it went south, y'know? Maybe she didn't get it and wanted to spend the rest of the day moping."

"Is she in there now?"

"I think so." Amara handed her a bowl. "Ew, since when do you make oatmeal?"

Amara shrugged. "Was in the mood for it. Go see if she wants some. I have work in a few." Silvia nodded and padded down the hallway, just as Amara's cell phone rang from inside her pocket. "Hello?"

"Hey," Fiona's voice replied on the other end. "I know you have a shift soon, but I was wondering if you could swing by my complex and help me pick a lock?"

"I'm sorry, is Fiona Gallagher asking me to commit a crime?"

Fiona huffed. "Remember those people I told you about? The homeless ones? And I let them stay in my apartment until a spot opened up at the shelter?"

"Uh-huh."

"Well, the guy that fell off the roof is fuckin' suing me. And they changed the locks on my own goddamn door. And they have my fucking dog!"

"Okay, okay, I'll be there in a bit," Amara assured her. "I can't believe those assholes did that to you after how kind you've been to them."

Fiona's sigh echoed in her ear. "Yeah, I know. So I'll see you here soon?"

"Yup. Bye."

When she hung up, Silvia came back into the kitchen empty handed. "She took it."

"She okay?"

"Yeah," Silvia reached for a plate of her own. "Apparently Joe said some shitty things to her yesterday. Got her down. Didn't help that she failed her interview."

"Shit," Amara ran a hand through her hair. "Well, I've gotta split. You'll be okay here?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "Gonna see if I can hang out with Carl today. That's if he's not too busy sticking his head up Kassidi's ass."

"Why not hang out with Debbie?"

She glanced away. "Dunno. Things have been weird between us since she's had Franny. We're just so different from each other now. She's in welding school and I'm working at a bookstore. She has a whole ass kid, and I don't even want to think about pushing a thing like that out of me. We don't really blend well together."

Amara patted her shoulder and grabbed her bag. "Guess I'm not the only friendless one."

"Ha. Ha."

Amara smirked and saluted her as she walked out.

"Oh, fuck, hey," Fiona greeted when she made her appearance. "Forgot to call and tell you, change of plans."

Amara raised a brow and pulled out a bobbi pin. "Don't tell me I had to carry the weight of this thing all the way up here for nothing."

Fiona snorted. "Yes, I'm sorry. I've decided to go a more petty route."