XVIII

Getting Involved

======================================

You pushed me past tolerance. 

======================================

Techno watched in disbelief. He had heard some of the argument before walking in on them. Normally Techno wouldn't get involved with other people's business. It was their own to solve. That and he didn't really care so much about people in general. But, he never knew it was this bad. Y/n had never looked so emotionless.

"What the heck was that Wilbur?" Techno asked.

"She forgot her place. It was only a quick reminder," Wilbur stood much calmer than before.

"A reminder for what?" Anger began to build up in his voice.

"She's an asset to this nation, y/n shouldn't worry herself with anything but protecting us." Wilbur looked Techno in the eyes.

"Y/n's a person, not just some object."

"I've had enough arguing for today, Techno. There are other things I need to do." Wilbur started to walk off.

"No, whatever it is can wait." Techno shadowed the brunette as he started to make his way through the ravine. "What happens when the day comes that she dies for you? Are you just gonna throw her away like that?"

"Techno it isn't your place to speak about this," Wilbur warned.

But Techno was persistent. Never backing down he asked, "Doesn't she mean more to you than a weapon?"

"Techno, please," The brunette shut his eyes tightly, pleading.

"Isn't she a friend?"

"She was!" Wilbur stopped in his tracks. Techno watched as his shoulders heaved up and down during every breath. "Closer than anyone ever was." Wilbur's brown eyes began to well as a tight pain grew in his chest.

"How could you do this to her then? Can't you see how much this is destroying her?"

"Because I don't want her to see me like this, Techno. I want her to believe that we're still fighting for something good," Wilbur admitted. He slightly turned his head towards the two. "She's too good for us Techno. The day she realizes that is the same day we watch her leave. As much as I want to call her a friend, I know if I don't keep up this charade, she'll be gone."

"Then why not let her go? I mean she'd be happy, right?"

"I guess a part of me doesn't want to think she would."

The two watched as Wilbur's figure grew more distant as he ascended the stairs.

Techno didn't want to believe Wilbur's words. But he knew y/n better than anyone. So, why would Wilbur lie?

"He's right, you know?" Tommy spoke up. "She almost left when I had set up a duel with Dream."

Techno turned over to look at the boy while he moved to stand next to him. Tommy's eyes never left where Wilbur had walked away from.

"You battled Dream?"

"It was for L'Manberg's freedom! I couldn't just stand there and do nothing!" Tommy sighed. "But she thought I was risking too much."

"You did, kind of, just bargained your life."

"Oh, whatever!" Tommy crossed his arms. "But I'm sure that's what kept her from leaving."

"So why didn't she?"

"Y/n couldn't stand the thought of someone she could protect dying." Tommy chuckled. "You should've been there. She was there with me every step of the way. Complained the entire time though. Y/n splashed the poison on the both of us, so I wouldn't bear the pain alone. She also nursed me back to health. I got an earful when I woke up though. Said she'd leave right after I was okay. But Will convinced her to stay." The blonde let out a long sigh. "I look back at that day and sometimes I think it would've been better if y/n left, a lot of us do. She was never the same afterward. Like she was a completely different person."

"I'm guessing arguments like these were common."

"Yeah, but y/n's never had anyone defend her like you just did. Tubbo and I would usually stay quiet or go off somewhere else."

"She's a good friend. Why wouldn't I?"

"She's my friend too. But, I get choked up when it comes to stuff like this. I just don't want her to leave."

"Aren't there better ways to keep her around?"

"None that I know of. It's like once her job here is over, she's destined to leave. Fates choice or whatever."

"Isn't that how a job typically works?"

"Pfft, I know that! Haha...ha..." Tommy chuckled.

They stood there in silence.

"You know Tommy. You aren't that terrible sometimes," Techno confessed.

"People usually find me annoying at first, but once they get to know me. I'm a real man!" Tommy flexed.

"Don't push it."

"Sorry Techno."

======================================

762 words

======================================