IX

Our Tradition

======================================
Something to tie us together
======================================

As promised, y/n showed up in front of the nether portal where Techno was patiently waiting. The ominous portal gave off a purple glow. Giving Techno a purple tint. He leaned against the wall, his hair was still down and unkempt from his nap. Blood red cape draped over his iron armor.

"Doesn't your hair get in your way?" y/n asked motioning towards his pink locks.

Techno looked towards the woman. Her attire was different from her normal L'manberg uniform. She wore an oversized f/c turtleneck sweater over black tights and some beat-up boots.

The pinkette nervously started to comb through his hair. He played with it over and over, cursing his mind for distracting him enough to neglect his appearance.

"Yeah, I usually put it into a braid. But I can't find my hair tie," Techno said, finally letting his hair be.

"Let me tie it for you! I have a spare," y/n motioned towards the dining table. She pulled out one of the chairs and stood behind it, welcoming Techno to sit.

"You don't have to. I'll be fine," He rejected.

"I insist. Your hair will only hinder progress if you let it be," y/n convinced, patting the seat. She was genuinely concerned about his hair getting in the way, seeing how it's very long. But secretly she has been dying to touch it.

Techno stared at the woman in front of him. She was patiently waiting for his move. Slowly, he began to make his way to the chair, taking a seat once he was within reach.

"Do you mind taking off your mask? I won't look," y/n asked from behind the pigman.

Techno reached behind his head, unlatching the strap to his mask. The skull shifted on his face until it was removed and placed on his lap.

Y/n began to untangle his pink locks. Techno flinched at her touch. No one has done his hair since he was a piglet. It felt foreign to him. He felt her hand graze his ear and his head jolted away from her. y/n immediately let go of his hair in response.

"I'm sorry. Did I pull your hair?" Y/n asked concern sounded throughout her voice.

"No, it's okay," Techno cleared his throat. "You can continue." He leaned back in the chair, taking a deep breath to calm himself down.

"Tell me if I pull too hard. I'll do my best to be gentle."

y/n went back to comb through his hair. Techno could feel the soft tug as she dragged her fingers down. His mind began to wander as he remembered the touch of someone who was once kind to him. Someone who once carried the same gentle aura. He felt his stiff body finally relax as y/n continued to do his hair.

Slightly uncomfortable with the silence, Techno decided to speak up.

"Nice outfit by the way. I didn't think you had anything other than the uniform," Techno complimented.

"These are Niki's. The clothes I normally wear are at home," y/n informed.

"Can't you just steal it back from Manberg?"

"I don't have a home there. I don't think I ever had time to build one," y/n laughed.

"So, where's this home?" Techno asked now full of curiosity.

"Thousands of blocks to the east through the nether. It's on a large island in the middle of the ocean," she said.

Y/n couldn't help but picture her home in her mind. The sandy beach and the smell of the ocean. Sure she could have that here. But it felt different when she was at home.

"I think you'd like it there. It's quiet and warm. A place almost anyone could feel at peace with. The sun would rise with you and in the night the moon shone brighter than any light. The sky would be littered with stars. Some nights I would stay up just to stargaze or go swimming. There was a village nearby so I never felt lonely. And there would be turtles that would come to the shore to lay their eggs. I built a little area for them so mobs wouldn't break them. If I was lucky I would even watch them hatch and begin their new life in the ocean."

Techno listened as her voice started to expose her longing. Her home sounded like a lovely place. How could someone leave all of that behind?

She sectioned his hair off into three strips, intertwining them until she reached the bottom and tied it together. Then she looped the braid, making a bun.

"It shouldn't bother you now," y/n smiled.

Techno let out a mumbled thank you as he put the mask back on. He reached to the back of his head and touched the bun, making sure he didn't mess it up. His cheeks flushed as he reminisced the feeling of her hands in his hair. Techno could already feel himself miss it and so did she.

"If you want I can do your hair whenever," y/n offered. She avoided eye contact with the man while he stood up from his seat.

"Sure, it'll be nice," Techno replied, fully facing the woman.

Y/n's head whipped over to look at Techno. She studied his features, trying to look for any signs of mockery. But all she could see was an awkward smile and rosy cheeks. She let out a small laugh.

"Let's go mining already," y/n said while making her way towards the portal.

"Yeah," Techno followed the woman. "Oh, and you should let me do your hair too. You know, so we both benefit from it?" He scratched the back of his neck.

"That sounds lovely," y/n responded while walking through the portal. Techno followed suit until they were met with the horrid red material.

"This place brings back memories," y/n stated, breathing in the scent of ash and smoke.

"Any good ones?" Techno asked while equipping his pickaxe.

"Just one," y/n smiled. "Let's get moving before we miss dinner. I'm looking forward to what Wil's making today."

They dug their way into the depths of the nether. When they were deep enough they dug out a small area.

"Let's split up from here. We'll collect more that way," Techno said. "We'll meet back here once we're done."

"Sure thing," y/n replied. "See you in a bit."

Just like that, they were off to grinding.

======================================
1922 words
======================================