Chapter 38: Family

For whatever reason, when I woke up, I couldn't fall back asleep, no matter how hard I tried. So, I carefully removed myself from Mia's limbs and left the bedroom. I closed the door quietly, walked to the living room, and plopped onto the couch. As soon as I was comfortable, I took my phone out of my pajama pocket and dialed my mother's number. It took a couple of rings before she answered the call, greeting me with, "Hello, honey. Did you sleep well?"

"Good morning, Mom. Yeah, for the most part, but I couldn't fall back asleep. So I thought I'd give you a call," I replied.

"I'm happy you called. I've missed you and Mia; how's she doing, by the way?" She asked, making me smile.

"She's doing okay; still sleeping. We met with Brittany and Sara yesterday. Mia did remember one thing, but, unfortunately, she still doesn't remember them," I answered, letting out a soft sigh.

"Ah, I see. It might take a while before Mia regains any significant memories. What matters is that there has been consistent progress, so don't give up, honey," My mom stated, and I nodded even though she couldn't see it.

"I know. I won't ever give up on Mia. I actually wanted to know if it would be okay for us to come over later? I know Mia would love to spend time with you and dad. Not to mention, eat one of your home-cooked, delicious meals. Then, perhaps we can watch a movie together," I asked, hoping that she and dad would be up for some company today.

"You hope it will trigger a memory, huh?" She questioned, almost as if she knew that was my plan all along. It was, but I know how much Mia treasures my parents and would honestly adore a day with them.

"Well, yeah... I mean... if it happens, then that's wonderful. If not, there's no harm whatsoever. You know Mia loves you guys so much. I'm sure she will be happy as hell to just spend a day with all of us together," I responded truthfully, and I heard her chuckle.

"You should already know the answer to that. You two are always welcome here, and we want you to spend time with us. We miss you, both of you, very much as it is. Go ahead and wake Mia up; get yourselves ready, then start heading over, okay?" My mom said, and I smiled excitedly because I couldn't wait to inform Mia of our plans.

"Awesome! Will do. See you soon, Mom. I love you," I added.

"I love you too, honey; drive safely," She finished, and we hung up the call.

As soon as I set my phone on the table, I got up from the couch and stretched; a yawn soon followed. Then, I strolled back towards the bedroom so I could wake Mia up. The moment I opened the door, I shrieked. Mia was standing right in front of me. I didn't expect her right there, let alone actually be awake yet. My shout caused her to jump and get scared herself. The next thing we knew, we started laughing our asses off at what had just taken place.

After a few minutes of laughter and catching our breaths, I asked her, "When did you wake up?"

"A few minutes after you left, the bed gets cold without you there," Mia responded as she blushed slightly at her admission, and I grinned like a complete idiot.

"I'm sorry, honey. I wanted to make a phone call, and I didn't want to wake you, but... It seems I still did, huh?" I asked, and she nodded, smiling.

"May I ask... Who did you call?" My girl questioned. She is so freakin' cute!

"I called my mom. Guess wha—" I began to say, but Mia cut me off adorably with her following words.

"We're going to your parent's house and spending time with them!"

"Yes, we are. All we need to do is get ready and head over there," I explained, and my girl had a massive grin on her face. I couldn't help but do the same; it was contagious after all.