Chapter 16: Mom

The following day was the absolute worst. I woke up feeling okay until I realized I was sleeping without my babygirl, causing the thoughts of yesterday to creep into my mind. I felt terrible, especially given how everything turned out last night. I feel like everything that happened is my fault... I know I could have handled it better, and God, I wish I had...

There was no way I would be able to stay in this apartment because I would drive myself crazy, replaying those events in my head. I still felt how uneasy I was; I knew I wasn't okay. I was so upset with myself for what I did. I had racked my brain for hours, trying to pinpoint why it happened, and I couldn't figure it out. The only thing that crossed my mind was that everything was my fault, which didn't help, whatsoever.

The last time I felt this lost and unsure of what to do, my mom helped me figure things out. So, I decided that maybe she would be willing to help me again. It's funny how I really need her help or advice when it has to do with Mia. I took my phone off the charger and dialed my mom's number while I sat upright in bed. I leaned against my pillows and headboard; after the second ring, she picked up.

"So, does this mean you're ready to tell me what's been going on, honey?" My mom said, causing me to chuckle.

"Yes, I am. Can I come over soon?" I asked, hoping that this would be okay.

"Of course, you can. I'll see you soon. I love you and drive safely," She started, and I smiled.

"See ya' soon, Mom. I love you too," I finished, and we hung up the call.

I placed my phone back onto the nightstand and let out a deep sigh. I should have known that my mom would be waiting for me to come to her and expect that's what I would need as soon as I called. She sure does know me, and I am glad for that. Sometimes, you just need help from your mom. I know I do. I need to make sure she knows how grateful I am that she has always been such an amazing mom.

I remained in bed for another few minutes because it seemed that I had to mentally prepare myself to get up. While on my period, it really feels like I need a whole twelve-step program just to convince myself to get out of the damn bed. I often find this mindset annoying, especially when I know I need to be somewhere. Before I completely peeled myself off the bed, I opened my text chat with Mia to see if she had read my last message. I let out a content sigh when I saw that she did, in fact, read it. For some reason, knowing she read it made me feel better because that meant she wasn't ignoring me. I'm glad she read it, and I don't know when she is coming home, but I'll be sure to send her another good night message tonight too. I want her to see that she is on my mind and how sorry I am for how I treated her.

The moment my feet landed on the solid ground, I stretched and let out a yawn. Walking over to the dresser, I found some sweat pants and, after that, I took a long sleeve shirt off a hanger from the closet. First, I went into the bathroom to turn on the water and take some Ibuprofen from the medicine cabinet to help lessen the pain of my cramps. Then, I brushed my teeth, and when I finished that, I removed my clothing and got into the shower.

My shower was much needed, and I felt better after having one. I spent the next fifteen minutes drying off and getting dressed. When I reached the kitchen, I took a piece of paper I found lying on the counter and began writing on it. I made sure to leave that note on the kitchen table for Mia, should she come home before me. I want her to know I was spending some time with my mom and for her not to worry. I grabbed a cold water bottle from the fridge and ate the last banana for a quick bite to eat.

Once I felt ready and had what I needed, I decided to double-check everything and then grabbed my keys. Not too much longer, I left the house and locked the door. After another ten minutes, I got into the car and buckled myself in as I put on the song "I Need You" by LeAnn Rimes and began the forty-minute drive to my parents' house.