Chapter 21: Club

It has been a little over a week since the unfortunate first meeting with Kayla. When Mia and I got home that night, we just held each other until we passed out. The next day, Mia seemed perfectly fine; it was as if that encounter never even occurred. Being the way I am, of course, I needed to make sure she truly was okay, so, during breakfast, I made sure to ask her. My girl promised me that she was one-hundred-percent okay, and she wasn't planning on letting her past get to her ever again, and I was so very proud of her.

A few days later, after Ali and Kayla finally had the much-needed discussion about everything. Following that, we all attempted to have that dinner again, but it was done the right way. When the dinner took place, it was very enjoyable, and we all had a great time together; Mia and I asked them many questions. Some of those included how they met, what kind of shenanigans they had gotten into, and if they thought of each other when they stopped talking because of Mia's dad. At one point, Mia asked Kayla what their funniest memory was. We found out that Ali and Kayla got wasted at school and walked into the boy's restroom without realizing it. The kicker was, they proceeded to use the urinals as a toilet. I wish we could have witnessed such a scene; that would be hilarious. Seeing how Ali and Kayla interacted with one another reminded me of how my girl and I used to be before we started dating. In the end, we all finally got to know each other, and it turned out to be the evening it should have been the first time around.

~

For the past two hours, I worked on the final revisions to my thesis paper, and unfortunately, concentrating proved more difficult than ever. The edits I needed to complete weren't challenging by any means, but... It seemed as if I couldn't put a damned cohesive sentence together. There was one part where I attempted to fix my grammar, and the parts I changed didn't make any bit of sense, and I was beginning to feel very discouraged. Okay, that's it; I give up, my brain is not helping me, and I won't waste my time like this anymore.

I stood up from the kitchen table, stretched, and began to walk around the house, trying to figure out what I should do instead of my homework. As I paced, I decided to clean the dishes and straighten up some. After washing the dishes and starting a load of laundry, my phone dinged. I pulled it out of my back pocket, saw Mia's text notification, and retraced my steps to the location of my homework.

Mia: "I love you."

Her text made me smile immediately.

Bri: "I love you too. How are you?"

Suddenly, my phone rang.

"Why, hello there," I greeted as soon as I picked up Mia's call.

"Hey, baby," My girl replied, and she sounded so damn cute.

"Hey you, I'm surprised you called instead of texting me like usual around this time," I admitted, and she chuckled, causing me to smile.

"I had a feeling, haha. Well, I'm packing up my equipment and getting ready to leave work in a few, so I figured I would call and check up on you; moreover, I missed your voice tremendously," Mia explained, and my heart warmed at her words.

"I'm actually happy to hear you're leaving work soon, and I appreciate this call very much. You're so damn sweet, honey. How was your day?" I asked her.

"It was wonderful. I was able to get a lot accomplished, and things are great. I love this job; it's a dream come true," Mia expressed, and she sounded so happy.

"I'm so happy to hear that, babygirl. You deserve it, and I know how hard you've worked to land that position. I'm proud of you." I replied, smiling.