Chapter 27: Worry

The sound of the shower turning off awakened me, and I sat up in bed. Soon, Mia walked out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her body and hair. As she got dressed for the day, I noticed every single detail about her. First, the dark circles under her eyes were very noticeable, even from a distance. The worst part for me had to be her ribs; they were protruding and more distinct than I had ever seen in my life before. It had been over a week since my girl began that wearying project, and at the rate she's going, she will work herself to death. I know Mia doesn't forget to eat and sleep on purpose, but... her drive to make things perfect for this client pushes her past every limit possible. I don't like seeing my girl's bones like this or seeing her so damn exhausted... She has become the definition of the walking dead...

Even though I was off today, I still planned to shower and get refreshed. So, I got up from the bed when Mia was fully dressed, and I said to her, "Babygirl, would you be willing to make something to eat? I'd love for us to have breakfast together; it's been a few days since we did that."

"Of course, baby," Mia replied after she gave me a chaste kiss on the lips before exiting the room and walking towards the kitchen.

I stretched my body, yawned, and then entered the bathroom. I began to remove my clothes, putting them into the hamper. As soon as I got under the warm water, I let out an enjoyable, relaxed sigh. Sometimes a shower is the best thing ever. About twenty-five minutes passed when I was ready to get out and dry myself off. I returned to the bedroom seconds later, rummaged through the closet and dressers to find the comfy outfit I felt like wearing today. After getting my sweatpants and t-shirt on, I brushed my hair and then strolled to the kitchen, eager to see what Mia cooked for us.

Instantly, I saw that my girl was working at the table and there wasn't any food prepared. She got distracted with work and forgot; so, let's tease her about it some. I sat down right next to her and playfully asked, "Whatcha' doing?"

"Working, you know that, silly."

"Oh, I do. Though, I am just baffled as to why you're working right now," I happily pressed and smiled at Mia.

"You know why. I want to get it done so I can spend some time with you," My girl replied and gave me a heartwarming smile.

"Of course, but... we have a huge problem at the moment," I stated, causing her to look at me somewhat confused and worried.

"Wait, we do? What problem do we have?" She asked, and I placed my hand on top of hers.

"Woman, I starve!" I teased, and it seemed this comment finally got through to her, making Mia laugh.

"Oh, shit! My bad, baby. It would seem I got distracted and forgot to cook breakfast." My girl explained to me, and I nodded.

"It's okay. I'm only teasing you, honey. I don't work today as you know, so I can cook for us. However... I will only do so on one condition," I said, and she looked me in the eyes.

"What condition would that be, sweetheart?"

"I'll cook breakfast if you promise to be my snack later?" I offered with a smirk, and Mia grinned, laughed, then shook her head at me.

I stood up from the chair, placed a loving kiss on Mia's forehead, then walked into the kitchen. I love her smile so much; I wonder which I love more... her smile itself or being the one to put that smile on her face? It's safe to say both. I placed my favorite skillet on the stove, took out the pancake mix from the pantry, and started preparing the batter in a large bowl. Once everything was ready and the pan was heated enough, I poured some of the pancake batter onto it; then started cooking them.