Chapter 32: Confusion

*Mia's POV*

As soon as I am conscious enough to hear myself think, I can feel immense pain in my head... It feels like someone is banging my skull with a hammer, over and over again. I am now also aware of how dark it is, not just dark, but... practically pitch black... this revelation makes me think that I am blind, which is a stretch, even for me... Or, my eyes are closed, yeah, that makes more sense, Mia... Now that I realize it, I can vaguely hear voices around me, some sound far away, and others sound closer in proximity to wherever I am...

Have I finally gone insane? Is this a dream or something I've imagined in my head? I don't understand what is going on... I'm going to try to move... Yeah, Mia, that's a good idea. Wait, I... I can't move, though... and I don't know why. It's like my eyes are too tired and not ready to be opened yet, and my body... feels extremely heavy, and it's as if I have no strength to do anything. What do I do? What's wrong with me?

I've spent what felt like hours trying to relax my mind and body. I hope I saved enough energy so I can try moving again. However, I can feel my best friend holding my hand while someone is talking to her. I don't know who this person is. Her voice is not familiar whatsoever, but I want to listen in more. Maybe I can get some information about what the hell is going on with me...

"Cambria, every time I see you, it looks like you are losing a piece of yourself. It's going to be okay, don't let the fear win and consume you. You know Mia will need you when she wakes up, and it'll kill her to see you like this. I know it's hard, but be strong, and do it for Mia," I heard this unknown female say to Bri.

Why is she talking to Bri like she knows her and me? Are they friends? Did Bri replace me? Wait... Am I jealous of a person I don't even know? Stop, Mia... I don't have all of the facts, but I know that whatever has happened to me seems like it is serious... Why is this girl saying Cambria is losing a piece of herself? What is she losing? What have I missed? Is she okay? Suddenly, I hear Cambria sighing, and I just continue to listen to this conversation unfold.

"I know, Sara... It's just... I am scared... It's already been weeks, and I miss her so fucking much, and I just want her to be okay. I know the doctors said everything should be fine, but that isn't a definite answer, either, ya' know? This uncertainty is the worst of all." Cambria says to this 'Sara' person, and I can hear the worry in her voice. My best friend doesn't sound like herself at all, and her voice sounds heartbroken. I hope she is doing okay.

After getting no answers and hearing my best friend and this Sara person talking, I need to move and wake up. I don't like feeling like this, and I dislike hearing Bri sound broken. Even if this is a dream that I made up in my crazy-ass mind, I don't care. It's about time I wake myself up! I focus all my energies and willpower on trying to move the hand that Cambria is still holding. It feels like it's taking everything I have in me to do this, and I swear I was able to move it just slightly. I hope it's enough because that was exhausting. I need a break.

Dammit, it seems like whatever movement I did wasn't enough, and Cambria didn't feel anything. I guess I just have to keep trying harder, even if it is wearing me out. For the next five minutes or so, I keep on moving that one damn hand that Bri is holding, and still nothing is happening... I am starting to get frustrated with myself. C'mon, Mia... It's really not that fucking hard to simply move your hand...

After another minute of additional failures on my part, I groaned. That's when I was able to hear all of the commotions around me go silent. YES! It's about damn time! That's it, Mia; just keep going and try something else since movement is proving rather tricky. Maybe try to say something. All I honestly want to do is call out for Bri. I want to let her know I am okay so she can stop sounding so sad and worried and be the happy version of herself again...