Chapter 5: Study

The moment I opened my eyes, I recognized that I was alone in bed; this was due to my body feeling colder than it usually does when my girl is wrapped around me, causing me to frown slightly. I guess Mia is already at work, or she never actually came home altogether... I just hope she is okay. I took a deep breath, allowing some time to collect myself, then stretched while yawning.

The past couple of days have been busier than I honestly expected them to be. I needed to write a lengthy report on my first week of counseling and turned it in yesterday evening. That's when the professor announced our midterm exam would be tomorrow and not in two days as it was previously scheduled. On the other hand, my Thesis 1 class was full of research and discussions to help determine ideas that we could use, and it's been tough trying to narrow mine down for some reason.

Minutes later, I grabbed my cell phone, checking to see if I had missed calls or texts from Mia. An involuntary sigh escaped from me when I realized she never responded. The only missed call I obtained was from my mom. I made a mental note to return her call later, and I knew I had a full day ahead of me. With that in mind, I forced myself out of bed, so I could begin my morning as my mind quickly wandered again.

I really have to start figuring out what I'll be doing for my Thesis asap. In a couple of hours, Agatha is coming over to help me study and provide her opinions on each thesis topic I've been fortunate enough to list. Then, in two weeks, I'm supposed to have my topic chosen, approved, prepare a paper indicating everything I will outline for this thesis report, and begin the processes required for the final thesis presentation by the end of my last semester. Ugh, there's just so much to do...

I shook those thoughts from my head because they were beginning to stress me out. I wasn't even ready for my day yet, and I was becoming overwhelmed. That is not the best way to achieve progress; just focus on one thing at a time, Cambria... First things first, take a shower! I took a deep breath as I removed my clothing, turned the shower faucet on, and waited patiently for the water to get warm.

As I showered, my body and mind finally calmed down, making it easier for me to plan out my day. Sometimes showers can help you feel better aside from just getting yourself clean, and I'm grateful for that, especially on days like these. I took my time washing my hair with shampoo and conditioner, then thoroughly cleaned my body and rinsed myself off.

Another fifteen minutes had passed when I felt it was time to get out of the shower and start to dry myself off. I wrapped my dripping wet hair in a towel while placing a second towel around my body, covering it securely. It's not that I am uncomfortable walking around my house naked; it's just... I'm warm and would rather not have my bare body get attacked by the cold air from the vents.

I entered the bedroom not a minute later and rummaged through my dresser and closet, searching for my outfit for the day. I decided on wearing comfortable, casual clothing, which ended up being a pair of black sweatpants and a gray cotton t-shirt. Walking around the bed to my side, I grabbed my cell phone, placed it in my pocket, and proceeded to fix up the bed some, making it more presentable. I usually don't care to fix the bed too much, but since Agatha is coming over, I might as well make things look a bit nicer.

I let out a sigh of relief as soon as I made it into the kitchen and saw my school items. I remembered taking a few minutes before bed to place my books, homework, and paperwork on the dining room table. I decided to do this last night because I knew that it would be much easier to work here alongside Mrs. Knight than anywhere else in the house.

I reached the refrigerator and took out the eggs, butter, cheese, and milk, placing them on the counter next to the stove. I grabbed a bowl, cracked a few eggs into it, along with a modest amount of milk, and whisked them until they were mixed enough to be cooked. Next, I bent down to the cabinet that held the pots and pans, and I pulled out a skillet. I set it on the stove, on the correct burner, and placed a tablespoon of butter in it.