Chapter 3: Counseling

I awoke when my alarm blared next to me on the nightstand, and I extended my arm to shut the damned thing off. I slowly sat up and yawned. I felt so very rested and warm, even though I woke up alone. One of my favorite things in the world is waking up with Mia in my arms or vice versa. There's no other feeling quite like waking up next to the person you love. I could tell that I was thoroughly bundled in our comforter as well, and I smiled when I thought back to the events of last night. I love her so very much...

I stretched and unraveled myself from the blanket to place my legs off the side of the bed and glanced at the clock, and took a deep breath. Today's my first day. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I reached for my phone and noticed there was a note under it. I removed the paper and began to read its contents, seeing Mia's beautiful handwriting.

~

Baby,

I am so sorry that I could not wake up next to you on your first day; I had to go to work earlier than planned. But, I promise to make it up to you when I get home. I made you breakfast, and it's in the microwave waiting for you. I hope you have a great day today, and please text me when you get there.

Forever yours,
Mia

~

I opened the nightstand drawer and placed my girl's letter inside of it. Every time she leaves me these cute random epistles, I permanently save them. I can't help it. I want to be able to go back and read them. I lifted myself off the bed and began getting ready for my first day as a guidance counselor. After I had everything prepared to leave, I warmed up the breakfast of french toast and bacon that Mia cooked for me and ate it. Before I drove off, I brushed my teeth, turned off all the lights, and locked the front door.

During the drive, I put the song "Mundus Theme" by Noisia on, and I jammed the whole way there. Thirty minutes had passed when I pulled into the faculty parking lot and shut the engine off. Then, I grabbed my phone, turned the sound off, and sent Mia a text.

Bri: "I just parked the car, and I'm about to walk back into our high school after seven years! I have to meet with the principal before I meet with Agatha. It's crazy. Thank you for last night and this morning too. Breakfast was delicious. I love you, babygirl. Text me whenever you can."

After that, I quickly sent Mrs. Knight a text to let her know I was here and planned on meeting with the principal first. She thanked me for informing her and told me to meet her in her classroom afterward. I put my phone in my pocket, grabbed my purse, locked my car, and proceeded to the doors of my old high school.

Upon entering, I was flooded with memories of this place. I remember so many things that happened here, like when I punched Vivan... That has to be one of my favorites, though. Or when Mia and I always ate lunch under that tree. Oh, and how about all those times we walked to class together and that magical night of our prom. Each memory, both good and bad, is essential, and I'll never forget them.

As I walked to the main office, I noticed a younger-looking student who wasn't paying attention and almost bumped into me. When his eyes met mine, he seemed agitated, scared, and kind of lost. Yeah, he must be a freshman. I felt the need to make sure he was okay.

"Hello there, are you doing alright?" I asked, and he remained silent but still looked at me. Hmmm...

"You don't have to say anything if you are uncomfortable; I just wanted to make sure you are alright. Okay?" I added as he nodded, and that's when I saw his hand holding a sheet of paper.

"Is that your class schedule?" I questioned. He nodded again.

"Do you need help to find your class?" Instead of nodding this time, he handed me the paper. I saw he had Algebra and made sure to take notice of his name, Tobias Krane.