Chapter 26: Offer

My alarm went off, waking me up, and as soon as I opened my eyes, I instantly noticed Mia working on her laptop next to me. She is so focused, and I don't think she noticed that I'm awake. From where I lay, I can already see the dark bags under her eyes... It's been a little over a week, and every single morning, it has been just like this; Mia looking drained and lifeless as she stays up most of the night busting her ass...

I sat up against the headboard, placed my hand under Mia's chin, and turned her face to me. Then I said, "Babygirl, you haven't slept at all, have you?"

"No... There have been many photo-editing emergencies for our most lucrative client... Remember the one I mentioned to you before, the one we might end up getting? Well, I've been working with that client directly, and it hasn't been exactly smooth," She explained after letting out a rather lengthy yawn.

"I assume that they expect unmeetable deadlines, huh?"

"Oh, yeah... Very much so. Don't get me wrong; I love what I do, even working with crazy clients like this... I still love it. Nevertheless, I undergo a tremendous amount of pressure ensuring they are satisfied and that everything is perfect. I don't want to mess up, baby." My girl expressed to me, and I could sense everything she was feeling just by the tone she used.

"Hey, it's going to be okay. I know you, and I know how hard you work. Nina did the right thing by making you the boss, you hear me? Don't doubt yourself, and be sure to have your assistant help whenever he can; that is why you two hired him. I just need you to promise me one thing?" I stated.

"What's that?" She asked, looking me in the eyes.

"I need you to take care of yourself when I am not around, okay? That means not forgetting to eat or sleep," I answered, which caused her to frown and lower her head.

"I will do my best; I am sorry... It seems I tend to lose track of time and neglect to do both..." Mia replied, and now knowing that she forgot to take care of herself had made me worry even more. I need to remind her to take care of herself as much as possible.

"I can tell... you look so damn tired, and you've even lost a few pounds," I added with a worried tone.

"I'm sorry, love."

"It's okay, don't be sorry. I understand. I will make you something quick that you can eat before I hop in the shower... how's that sound?" I offered, and she smiled at me.

"I'd love that. Thank you."

"You're welcome, honey. I will be right back," I said, and Mia nodded at me.

Before I got up from the bed, I leaned over and placed a kiss on her forehead. Then, I walked out of the bedroom and straight into the kitchen to make my girl a peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich. Five minutes later, when I returned with her food, Mia asked, "What are you going to eat, baby?"

"Oh, I plan on picking up a bagel and coffee from Dunkin Donuts before work today," I answered.

Once I saw Mia take a bite of the sandwich I made her, I felt content to shower and get ready for work. I thought of Mia during my shower and hoped that things would end with this client soon because I don't like seeing my girl so lethargic. Twenty minutes later, when I exited the bathroom, the towel was wrapped around my body, and I searched for an outfit. When my undergarments were on, Mia locked eyes with me, and that's when I noticed her sandwich. She made no further progress on her food; it still had only one bite taken. I raised my eyebrow at her and pointed at it. Mia followed where I indicated with my finger, and she soon blushed and apologized to me.

"Can you take another bite for me, please? You need to eat," I said and then watched her pick up the sandwich; she finally took another bite.

I smiled, thankful for that, and I gave her a hug and a kiss before I said, "Alrighty, honey. I'm gonna' get outta' here and grab my breakfast before heading over to the school."