Chapter 6: Work

I woke up abruptly as my alarm blared right into my ear, practically making me jump upright in fear. Shit, I must have fallen asleep with my phone on the pillow next to me for this to happen. I sighed, grabbing my cell phone, swiped away the alarm notification, and proceeded to check my messages. Unfortunately, I have yet to get a response from Mia, and I've been left on read, just like my previous messages have been. Another night without Mia; I never thought I would miss her as much as I do.

I ran my hands through my hair and sat in bed, reminiscing about the past two and a half weeks. It hurts me and makes me sad that nothing has changed yet. In fact, things have only gotten worse, I feel, and Mia is so very busy. We haven't had time for each other at all, and now I barely even see her as it is. Whenever our paths cross, and I do see my girl, she just casually kisses my cheek and goes to bed, and I'm trying my damn hardest not to let this get to me, but... I know I am already failing.

A few days ago, we planned a romantic evening, and I was hoping we could spend some time together, finally. However, things turned out differently because that night, when she came home, she got right into the shower. I joined her in the bedroom and watched as she got dressed. That was when she informed me she had to go to work, and I don't even know if she noticed the meal I had set up. Once she was ready, she gave me a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek and said, 'See you later; I love you, baby,' as she hurriedly walked out of the room then out of the house, not waiting for my response.

I'm not trying to be negative; it's not like that. It's just... after always having Mia around me... I miss her because things have stopped. I miss us sleeping in each other's arms every night, spending time together, texting, calling, and whatnot... I'm just longing for her more and more, every single damn day... Even on the days where I'm busy when she gets home, I try to get her to take a few minutes for us to be together... However, lately, she says, 'I'm sorry, baby, I can't. I have to get back to work.' I just fucking miss her like crazy... Am I needy?

From time to time, I've found myself putting on a fake smile when I go to work or talk about us; I don't want anyone to worry. Hell, I am worrying enough as it is, so no... no one else needs to worry on my behalf, either. The last thing I wanted was for people to find out what has been going through my mind. Let alone for it to reach Mia somehow. She's too busy, and I don't need her to think that any of my worries and doubts are her fault... to be honest, I don't think this is anyone's fault. The situation just truly sucks; that's the damn truth, honestly...

I let out a deep sigh and got up from the bed once I checked the time. Realizing that if I kept sitting there, doing nothing, I would be late for work, and that was not something I was about to do. Unenthusiastically, I forced myself to stand up and walk into the bathroom. I spent a good thirty minutes showering, getting dressed, followed by brushing my teeth. Finally, I grabbed a water bottle and locked the front door, heading towards my car.

Once inside my car, I put the water bottle in its usual spot, turned on the vehicle, and went to find my phone in order to play some music. However, I couldn't find my phone anywhere. It wasn't in my pockets or my bag. Fucking hell. I rested my head back on the car seat for a second, taking a deep breath to try and calm my nerves. Of course, I forgot it. I begrudgingly turned the car off and walked back into our apartment to retrieve it.

I wasn't sure what kind of music I felt like listening to during the drive to work, so I pressed shuffle, playing my entire library at random. I skipped a few songs until the song "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield came on, and somehow, it was the perfect time for me to hear it. As I sang along, I couldn't help but feel each lyric, and after it finished, I felt surprisingly better. It's funny how music can do that.