Chapter 11: Doubts

As I walked to my car this afternoon, both Agatha and Eleanor invited me over for dinner; I accepted their offer easily. I might as well do something since it has become painstakingly clear to me that I barely see Mia or can spend time with her during these last four months. When I got home from work, it was already close to seven in the evening, and I was shocked to see Mia asleep on the couch. I went right over to her because her phone was going off, and she wasn't waking up. She really must be exhausted to not wake up to that annoying ass alarm.

"Mia, honey? I think you need to wake up," I said while holding her hand in mine as my thumb caressed it, attempting to help rouse her.

"Hmmm?" She murmured, bringing a knowing smile to my face. She is always so fucking adorable.

"Your phone has been going off; I just got home," I replied, and it seemed that my words got through to her as she panicked, sitting upright rather quickly, and grabbed her phone.

"Damn, I'm late..." Mia mumbled, and I felt bad for her. She hates being late.

I watched as my girl got up from the couch and began walking towards the bedroom, but... she stopped, turned around to face me, and said, "I'm sorry, baby. I must shower and get ready for a client meeting with Nina." Always with Nina, huh? Dammit! Cambria... stop thinking like that...

"I know, I understand," I reassured, although, at that point in time, I wasn't sure if I was reassuring Mia or myself. I noticed she gave me a nod before leaving my sights. Maybe I should make her a quick bite to eat; I just want as much time with her as I possibly can, but... she is late, so is it worth it? I don't care; I have to try something.

After convincing myself that making her something to eat could get me some extra minutes with my girl, I decided to do just that while she showered. I knew Mia favored a thick turkey sandwich on multigrain flatbread with just the right amount of mayonnaise. When I finished preparing it, my phone went off as Agatha texted me to confirm our plans for the night.

Agatha Knight: "Hey girl! I just wanted to make sure that you still want to come over, and please don't feel pressured. I know it was last minute."

Cambria: "Oh, that's fine. Yeah, I'll head over there once Mia goes to work."

Agatha Knight: "Cool, sounds good to me! Let me know when you leave so I can make sure everything is warmed up and ready to go."

Cambria: "Will do, thanks!"

Agatha Knight: "No problem."

Once I read the reply, I put my phone down on the kitchen counter and saw Mia exiting the bedroom, fully clothed, and started walking to me. My girl wore a long-sleeve, button-down, navy blue collar dress shirt with form-fitting khaki pants and ankle-high dress boots. Fuck, she looks so damn sexy in these clothes... she always is so sexy.

"Hey, baby, what are your plans for this evening?" Mia asked as she hugged me tightly, and I couldn't help but feel so damn happy at this turn of events. I need more of her.

"Agatha and Eleanor invited me over for dinner, I was going to tell you earlier, but I know you're running late," I answered her as we parted from our hug, and she nodded in agreement. I really don't like making plans without Mia or doing things without her, but... I feel like today is a day that I will drive myself insane by staying home alone again. Also, Agatha said we could go over my thesis paper, which was also enticing me to go as well.

"I know, and-" she began to say, but her stomach, of all things, interrupted her, and I chuckled.

"Oh, hush it, both of you!" She quipped and giggled. God, I miss that sound.