Chapter 186

Gwen smiles kindly, quickly hiding the cigarette she'd been puffing on in the corner of the tent when a waiter offers her champagne.

Her voice is apologetic as she says, "No thank—"

"She'll have two."

Her brows raise in surprise, the waiter flushing and quickly setting down two glasses before scurrying away from the Veela. She turns as Sirius walks over to her, chiding, "You know I can't."

Her heart melts at his boyish smile, the simple shrug of his shoulders as he says, "You can."

Her eyes flicker to the guests already watching her, some of the men not quite as polite as the others. Lily's father being one of them, much to the embarrassment of the red head. Gwen shakes her head, but Sirius speaks before she can, insisting, "I'll be right here. It's okay, Inferi."

She hesitates, her eyes drifting to the sparkling liquid beckoning her. She didn't allow herself to drink often, the risk too great with losing control of her charm. But Sirius was here, he was always here.

So she caves to her urges and carefully grasps the glass. The first sip bubbles in her chest, warmth spreading until she feels her cheeks turn pink and her hands tingle.

Sirius smirks, asking teasingly, "Good?"

Gwen nods, taking another sip. It tastes like liquid laughter, her own lips curving into a bashful smile as she admits, "I don't think I've ever had it before."

"Really?" His voice is surprised, brows raising in confusion. Gwen shrugs, replying cheekily, "Not everyone attended fancy galas as a child."

Sirius rolls his eyes, though she spies the smile he hides behind his fist. Her mind buzzes, attention drawn to his fingers and his hands, her tongue sneaking out to wet her dry lips as she asks, "Would you like some?"

Sirius blinks at her, watching her take another sip of the alcohol that pales in comparison to her glow. He grins and shakes his head, murmuring, "Not right now, love."

Gwen shrugs and her eyes slide to where Dorcas and Marlene are dancing like hooligans amongst the older, scandalized guests. A wistful sigh escapes her, another bubbly drink beckoning forth her charm. She doesn't notice, not until Sirius clears his throat.

Her eyes drift to where he's standing stiffly by her side, red creeping up his neck until his cheeks are flushed and his eyes are glassy. Gwen sets down her now empty glass of champagne, asking apologetically, "Too much?"

Sirius quickly shakes his head, saying firmly, "No, Inferi. It's a wedding, you're meant to drink and have fun."

Gwen grins slightly at the strain of his voice, her inhibitions lowered enough for her to grab the second glass of champagne. She looks away from Sirius, feeling almost as shy as he looks thanks to her charm. Her eyes light up when she sees Regulus, calling, "Little!"

The Slytherin and Remus look up in surprise at her exclamation. Remus quickly spies the drink in her hand and smiles to himself, feeling a twinge of pride that the Veela was allowing herself the freedom that beings often didn't feel they could have. He certainly didn't.

They hurry over before she can shout again, Regulus saying amusedly, "Yes, Ninnie?"

Gwen blinks at him, her smile lazy almost as she confesses happily, "I didn't have anything to say. Just hello."

Sirius covers up his laugh at Regulus' confusion by coughing, schooling his expression into one of nonchalance when Gwen lifts her head to look at him. He smiles, asking lowly, "Happy?"

Gwen nods, though Sirius catches her eyes flicker for half a second when Regulus says without thinking, "Come on, Mon loup. Let's dance."

Guilt twinges in her gut when the werewolf and his boyfriend move to the dance floor. She suddenly regrets drinking, regrets making an appearance even as she finds that some guests are staring at her more now.

"I think I should have some water."

Sirius scoffs at her words, replying, "I think that you should stop worrying about other people."

Gwen's expression twists uncomfortably until she whispers, "I think you should be able to dance."

Sirius' eyes grow soft, his hands reaching for her. Gwen's shoulders sag despite her forced smile, her eyes giving away her longing as she watches her friends, her family. Dancing without any second thoughts, drinking without worry.

"Come with me."

She doesn't get a chance to say anything, Sirius is already pulling her through the crowd, away from the dance floor. She makes a noise of protest when he plucks another glass of champagne from a tray, taking one sip before passing it back to her as he leads them towards the darkness of the Potter's garden.

"Sirius," She laughs, the sound bubbling up from her chest when he pulls her deeper into the darkness until it's just them, the moon, and the faint sound of music streaming from the distant tent.

"Dance with me?" He asks quietly, smiling at her so patiently, so lovingly. Gwen exhales, and while she should say no, she finds herself nodding before she realizes it. Sirius grins encouragingly when she takes another sip of fizzy alcohol before setting the glass down in the dew covered grass, his hands carefully moving to cup her waist.

Gwen leans into him, intoxicated by the smell of his cologne and the soothing energy that coaxes at her mind. It's him, not the champagne. He makes her feel like she's floating.

Sirius chuckles at her glassy eyes, teasing, "Perhaps one was enough." Her laugh is the sweetest music, her face clear of her momentary doubts from before. And then they're dancing, spinning and swaying in the dark.

Gwen rests her head on his shoulder, her lips quirked up in a lazy smile as he moves them to the faint strings playing beyond the trees. Another laugh escapes her when he gently guides her away from his chest, his hands twirling her until her head spins and her cheeks warm.

She falls back into him, and Sirius tries to remember to breathe, to focus on her. But her charm is her. It's not seductive magic created to torture men, it's her. She is brimming with pureness, magic that flirts with him and challenges him just as her words do. And he wishes she could see it, that she's unique and special because of who she is, not what she is.

He's stirred from his thoughts when her arms sling around his neck, her body pressed up against his, sharing his warmth as she murmurs, "I think I only ever want to dance with you, Mr. Black."

His heart burns at the confession, her sweet words dripping from her lips without a second thought. He wonders if she would say it without the influence of the sparkling liquid in her blood stream. But then he knows she would. He knows it. Gwenyth Whitlock didn't say things she didn't mean.

"I think I'd like that, Miss. Whitlock," He replies quietly, his ears vibrating from the gentle hum that sounds from her chest. And then she's cupping his face, forcing his eyes to meet her pale blues that hold only the truth, only promises of a life that they could share. He can't fight it, can't fight her allure and the way her lips quirk up when their eyes meet.

He fits his mouth to hers, finally tasting the champagne she'd taken a liking too. It tastes better on her tongue, tingles on his lips until he's forced to lean back and mumble, "Sorry, I—"

He's cut off when she stands on her toes and catches his lips in another kiss that leaves his head spinning, his conscious lulled into a warm and foggy stare from the feel of her pressed against him. His eyes nearly cross when her hands slip down to his belt, her palms warm through his shirt and her lips ghosting his as she mumbles, "Let's go."

"Go where?" He whispers dazedly, pulling back to suck in some air in an attempt to clear out the clouds of lust in his head. Gwen smiles wryly, her eyes glinting with amusement as she says,

"Home. I want to go."

Sirius' heart feels like it may explode at her words, his hand reaching for hers. She smiles, her face full of mischief and freedom, and Sirius kisses her once more before they apparate away from the wedding.

The only thing better than a good party.

The beach.

{{yippee!! Beach time! And sexy time for those of you that have waited so patiently (: }}