Chapter 122

{{this is probably my last update for the day! It's been a busy one!!!}}

Sirius bites back a possessive growl when Fleamont Potter hugs Gwen.

He'd just gotten her back, at least physically. And it was growing increasingly difficult to not touch her with every passing moment. He'd missed her terribly, everything about her.

He clenches his fists and waits patiently, watching her say a few hushed words with the older man before hugging Mia. His heart softens slightly at the action. He knew it was hard for her to interact with the woman. It made her miss her mum. But Gwen and Mia had taken a liking to each other. That much he could tell by the way Mia was sobbing.

Gwen laughs quietly and pats her on the back, teasing, "Merlin, you do realize that I'm alive and well, don't you?"

"Yes," Mia sniffs, squeezing the girl one last time. Sirius' hand instantly returns to her, though this time he pushes his luck and rests it on her hip. The soft velvet of her dress compares poorly to what he knows lay beneath. He clears his throat, earning attention from Mia and Fleamont. Sirius smiles slightly and says, "Excuse me, Mum. Dad. I've yet to get to dance yet."

Gwen's eyes widen when he guides her away, her voice frantic as she whispers, "Sirius, you know I—"

"Screw them," Sirius says firmly, his other hand taking hers as he leads her to the dance floor. Her heart screams like a lovesick fool when she sees that they are both wearing their rings. She tears her eyes away.

Gwen flushes when she sees people already looking, catching sight of Dorcas' lovesick face and Marlene's waggling brows. She sighs and turns back to Sirius, doubt tightening her chest and her voice, "Perhaps we shouldn't be—"

"Let's talk about it tomorrow."

She sighs and replies flatly, "Interrupt me again, Black and I'll be leaving."

He winces and gently squeezes her hip, pulling her closer. She relents, her heart rate increasing when her chest brushes his. They hadn't been close like this in a long time. A month. She clears her throat, staring at the space over his shoulder. She sighs and says quietly, "There's a lot to talk about."

Sirius lets go of her waist to gently grasp her chin. He guides her eyes to meet his, swallowing down the pain and regret that threatens to rise when he finally deciphers the look in her eyes. Uncertainty. He'd done that. Sirius whispers, voice throaty with emotion, "Yes. There's a lot to talk about. But I know two things to be certain."

Gwen blinks at him, the twitching of her lips prompting him to continue. She feels like she's floating when a wry grin quirks his mouth up. He says firmly, though there's plenty of mirth on his face,

"Number one. I love you."

She sucks in a shaky breath, her skin tingling from the confession. Her grip on his shoulder tightens and she can't fight the shy smile that works it's way onto her face. After all this time, he could still turn her into a sodding first year blushing over their first crush. Sirius traces the line of her jaw with his thumb, whispering,

"Number two. I can't start a new year without you. I refuse."

Gwen laughs and reluctantly nods. The look on his face is brilliant, happy and relieved. He doesn't push his luck this time, doesn't press his craving mouth to hers. Instead he pulls her close and returns his hand to her hip as they gently sway. She smiles over her shoulder as James and Lily waltz by, making kissy faces at her and Sirius.

She relaxes into his hold, finding that she'd merely missed this. Existing with him nearby. She bites back a laugh when he raises their arms and twirls her, a chuckle escaping him at the happy look on her face. This was what he'd wanted. To pretend for just a moment that everything was okay. No wars or secrets or ultimatums that he would give his left arm to take back.