Chapter 23

Dorcas quickly pats down her hair, staring at the portrait nervously.

"You're sure we're supposed to be here?" She asks, turning to Gwen with wide brown eyes. The Veela smiles faintly and nods.

"Sirius invited us," She says gently, patting Dorcas on the shoulder. "You act like you've never been to a party before, Dorcas."

"Not the Marauders Halloween Party," The girl argues, flattening out the skirt of her blue outfit. She had dressed up as Rowena Ravenclaw and looked beautiful. She didn't believe Gwen when she said it though. Dorcas frowns, biting anxiously at her finger nails. Gwen quickly smacks her hand away and mutters, "You're going to regret that."

Gwen faces the portrait, smiling warmly at the fat lady dressed in white. She had more grapes in her hair than Gwen could count. Dorcas fights a smile when the portrait attempts to ignore the Veela, finally relenting and asking grumpily,

"Password?"

Gwen bites back laughter when she says calmly, "Cattywampus."

The portrait swings open with a gusty sigh, Gwen saying a quick thank you before she and Dorcas scramble through.

The Ravenclaw's thought the Lion's common room was crowded when there wasn't people. It was bloody awful now. There was an ocean of students in costumes, dancing and laughing and drinking. Dorcas' eyes widen and she says nervously,

"Think we could leave?"

Gwen nods once, feeling very overwhelmed. The pair turn to abandon the party, but then they freeze.

"Dorcas!! Gwen!!"

The Veela and the brown haired witch make disappointed eye contact before they turn back to face Lily Evans and Marlene McKinnon.

Lily is dressed in a very dramatic black and red gown, her normally lengthy hair pulled back into a bun at the nape of her neck. Gwen quirks a brow, glancing at Marlene who is choking on laughter.

"Wow, Lils. You look great," Gwen says hesitantly. Lily sighs and turns to Dorcas, saying flatly, "No one knows who I am."

Dorcas is grinning happily, her hands clasped together excitedly as she bursts, "Oh my gosh! Alberta Toothill!!!!"

Lily smiles brightly and nods. Gwen and Marlene hide their smiles at their friends excitement, Gwen interrupting to say cheekily,

"You're looking lovely, Marlene."

The Scottish witch tips her black hat and winks. She'd dressed as Mcgonagall, much to Lily's chagrin.

The Gryffindor girls guide the Ravenclaw's further into the party. Gwen is just about to reach for a drink when she spots someone that catches her eyes. Remus.

He looks up, like he can feel her watching him. The poor boy pales under her gaze, fidgeting nervously as she approaches. He begins talking before she's even reached him, saying hurriedly,

"Gwen, I-I'm so sorry—"

"Remus," She laughs, taking him by surprise. He feels like he could cry when she lays her small hand on his arm and gives it a squeeze. She doesn't look scared, doesn't look disgusted. Only warm, friendly, if not a little bit blasé.

"You don't need to apologize. If anything, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking straight."

Remus rapidly shakes his head back and forth, mumbling, "Padfoot explained what you were doing. I wish I could...I'm sorry. I understand if you don't want to be my friend anymore."

Gwen smiles faintly and quirks a brow, wondering cheekily, "Are you scared of me?"

Her pale eyes draw the truth from him almost immediately. He nods hesitantly, shrugging a little. She nods and says simply, "But you're still my friend. I think it would be a shame for a friendship to go to waste just because we are under a different section of the ministry's list than then rest of our friends. I was scared of you when you were transformed. But I know you wouldn't hurt me, not on purpose. So, let's be scared together."

His heart swells and he pulls her into a hug before he can stop himself, squeezing her tight around her middle. He smiles and mumbles, "Thanks, Ninnie."

"Of course, Moony. And if I grow a beak and wings, you're the first person I'm coming to."

He laughs at her use of the nickname and nods, pulling back to say cheekily, "Padfoot has been looking for you."

"Uh oh. Don't tell me I've become his secretary again," She groans dramatically, feeling much more comfortable standing in the corner with the werewolf than she had moments before.

He glances down when she grows silent, following her gaze to where Lily and Marlene and Dorcas are jumping and dancing amidst the crowd.

"Shouldn't you join them?" He wonders. She glances up at him, her smile rueful as she says quietly,

"I'm not allowed."

"To dance?" He questions, brow furrowing. It suddenly dawns on him, a surge of sympathy for the girl hitting him. She couldn't dance, not as a Veela in a room full of boys.

Something suddenly bumps into them from behind, Remus and Gwen both turning to see James Potter. Drunk. His homemade antlers hang lopsided on his head as he slurrs,

"Ninnnnnie! Ninnie Whitlock!"

"Yes, that's my name," She laughs, gently reaching out and steadying him on his feet. Remus smiles at her apologetically, admitting, "I'm supposed to be the baby sitter tonight."

"I don't need a baby sitter," James cries, lurching forward. Gwen nearly collapsed under his weight, grunting, "Jeez, Potter. Let's find you a place to sit."

"I wish Lily would kiss me," He moans dramatically, head hanging limply as Remus and Gwen drag him to one of the armchairs shoved into the corner.

Gwen and Remus both stifle their laughter as he flips down amongst the plush cushions and begs, "Please, Ninnie. Please make her like me."

"I can't make anyone do anything," She chides. Her lips twitch and she concedes, "But I'll give it my best shot, James."

His eyes grow round behind his glasses and he grabs her hand, planting a sloppy kiss to the back of it that has her and Remus both cringing.

"I love you," James slurs, tugging her down for a hug. Gwen gingerly pats his back, saying kindly,

"Okay, I love you too, James. Stay here and I'll go get Lily."

Remus stands guard, shaking his head as James begins singing drunkenly and Gwen disappears in the crowd.