Chapter 87

{{I hope you guys aren't getting bored of these kinds of chapters!}}

Sirius grins when he spots pearly blonde hair as he enters the Great Hall.

His brow furrows when he sees her seated between two of her fellow Ravenclaws. He instantly recognizes one, but has no idea who the girl is. He hesitates before he slowly walks over to the table. Gwen looks up first, gesturing for him to take a seat across from her.

Xenophilius Lovegood is waiting nervously while Gwen reads something silently, occasionally letting out a hum of appreciation as she flips a page. Sirius smiles to himself, glancing over to see the girl on the other side of his girlfriend looking at him warily.

Sirius grins and says, "I'm Sir—"

"Sirius Black. The whole school knows who you are," The girl says quietly. Sirius suddenly recognizes her as the girl that he and the Marauders asked to get Gwen out of the Ravenclaw common room last term. After they'd upset Lily and had been kicked out of their own.

"Pandora, right?" Sirius asks, smiling when she flushes and nods. They both turn back to Gwen and Xenophilius when the Veela says simply, "I quite like it, Xeno."

The rather odd boy perks up, asking, "Do you really? I just think that the public needs to be aware of Wrackspurts. The ministry is quite content to cover it up!"

Gwen nods thoughtfully, and while Sirius would dismiss it as rubbish and move on, his heart melts when his girlfriend asks, "How much for the monthly edition?"

Xenophilius looks stunned for a moment, his eyes quickly looking to Pandora. His first customer. The younger witch smiles and nods her head encouragingly, causing Xeno to stutter out,

"O-One sickle."

Gwen smiles faintly and asks, "Can I keep this one?"

The Ravenclaw nods rapidly, grinning when the Veela drops a shining sickle into his hand. Gwen finally glances at Sirius and smiles, saying, "Thanks Xeno. Pandora, I'll see you later, yeah?"

Sirius bites back another soft smile when the younger girl nods her head and smiles excitedly at the Veela.

Gwen waves goodbye, coming around to join Sirius and head to the Gryffindor table. He smiles down at her, teasing, "Not another bloody magazine."

She laughs and shrugs, replying, "I think he's a rather good writer. You might enjoy it."

"You believe in that stuff?" Sirius wonders, genuinely curious to know what she thought. He grabs her hand in his, leading her down the side of the table and smiling as she replies,

"I think there's a lot of things that we don't know. Who am I to say what's real and what isn't?"

His heart swells and he stops short, turning around and bending down to gently peck her lips. It's short, but sweet and it makes him want to forget about dinner and carry her off to his dorm. Gwen pulls back first and he's happy to see that her cheeks are a very cute shade of pink.

"What?" She asks bashfully, smiling warily when he chuckles.

"Nothing," He says quietly. "I just think you're brilliant."

Gwen feels a very large wave of affection wash over her, her heart beating faster against her chest. To try and save face she rolls her eyes and grumbles a half heartedly, "Cmon, Black."

Sirius knows though, his eyes twinkling with mirth as he and the Veela settle down at the Gryffindor table. James perks up, saying cheekily,

"Hello, Ninnie. Been off shagging Padfoot in a broom closet?"

Gwen shakes her head, reaching for the water as she replies simply, "No closets. He has taken a liking to abandoned classrooms however."

Sirius lets out an indignant squawk, staring in horror as James grins at the Veela with an impressed look on his face. James can't resist asking,

"And how do you like the classrooms, Ninnie?"

"Well, it really depends—"

Sirius quickly clamps a hand over her mouth and asks incredulously, "Must you share everything, Inferi?!"

Gwen blinks at him before shrugging. Sirius reluctantly removes his hand from her face. Peter stuffs his face with bread to keep from laughing, Remus just pretending to be reading. James however is embroiled in a staring contest with the Veela, goading her with his waggling brows and half grin.

Gwen can't resist.

"To answer your question, yes. I quite enjoy the classrooms," She finally states, her lips twitching into a smile.

She glances sideways at Sirius and finds that he looks less disgruntled, a tiny smirk playing at his lips instead. She bites back cheeky words, deciding for once to just leave him be. She looks up when James says nonchalantly,

"Makes sense. Padfoot really only used the closets for his quick snogs between—OW!"

James jumps, pain flaring in his shin and interrupting his musing. He looks at Remus confusedly when he sees an urgent look on his face, eyes flitting to where Peter is staring at James with his mouth gaping open.

His blood freezes and he winces, slowly turning to face the mess he's created. Gwen is staring blankly down at her plate, almost like she hasn't even heard James. Sirius however...Sirius looks like he's going to murder his best friend. His hand is tight around his fork, jaw clenched tight and grey eyes narrowed into slits.

James opens and closes his mouth, trying to come up with something to say. Nothing. He's got nothing.

Remus awkwardly clears his throat, glancing at Peter for help. Their little section of the Gryffindor table has gone quiet, so quiet that they can all hear Peter swallow another anxious bite of food.

Gwen tried to rationalize, tries to reckon with the fact that she knew her boyfriend had snogged other girls. Had slept with other girls. Who was she to judge, she had been with other people too. But being rational isn't happening. Not now. She could handle the glares from his scorned snogging partners and fangirld. But she hadn't thought about them. Not really. Gwen's heart clenches and she begins to feel claustrophobic. Had he snogged them in quiet corridors? Had sex with them on the Astronomy tower?

Waves of doubt and insecurity rise in her mind. This wasn't her. This wasn't Gwenyth Whitlock. She was calm, unfazed. Indifferent.

But one thought plagues her mind, a thought that makes her feel like she's drowning in the Black Lake. Had he loved another girl? Had he said the word that has been pestering her for weeks...has he said that to someone else? He was entitled to it, that was certain. But she'd never felt this way before. Jealous. She was jealous, hurt. Despite the irrationality that she knew was there. It doesn't matter. Doubt wins.

Sirius stares in horror as Gwen suddenly stands and grabs her new magazine from Xeno.

"Gwenyth," He says firmly, rising to his feet as well. But she's already climbing over the bench and scurrying away, face impassive besides her eyes.

Hurt. Her pale gaze was full of hurt.

Sirius grits his teeth and turns back to James, saying lowly, "You have a five second head start, Prongs. When I catch you, I'm going to make you cry."

James doesn't need to be told twice. He leaps up from the table, leaving his things and his friends behind.

Remus and Peter stare in awe as Sirius tears after his friend. Peter winces when he hears yelling. He turns to Remus and says nervously,

"That can't be good."

Remus pinches the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes and inhaling as he replies,

"No. It can't be good."

{{did I get you? I was trying to fake you out because I'm evil. Can't help but add a little dramatic flare to the story!}}