Chapter 74

{{a sappy chapter because I love them}}

James, Peter, and Remus left early in the morning,

Only after they'd made kissy faces and crass jokes that made Sirius grumpy while Gwen just laughed and hugged them goodbye.

Once Sirius was certain they were gone he'd pulled Gwen down onto his lap, leaning back against the soft couch. He looks up at her passive face and murmurs, "I could stay. I'll write Mia."

Gwen smiles at him knowingly, resting her hands on his broad shoulders as she shakes her head.

"Finish your summer with the Potters. Mia's been looking forward to taking you and James to Diagon Alley for weeks."

Sirius quirks a brow, grinning slightly when her cheeks turn a faint pink. He wonders playfully, reaching up to tuck her hair back behind her ears, "Been sucking up to Mum, have you?"

Gwen blinks, shrugging and offering rather shyly, "I'm...I'm a bit hard to get to know. But I like her and I want to know her. And she loves you, so that makes me like her more."

Sirius' grin broadens and she grows more flustered under his grey gaze, insisting, "They're your family! Aren't girlfriends supposed to get along with their boyfriends family?!"

When Sirius barks out a laugh, Gwen moves to get up. But his hands are warm and firm on her hips, holding her down in his lap. He teases, "I don't think my family would get along well with you."

Gwen's lips twitch and she mumbles, "Not your family of origin. I think they'd die if they were ever forced to meet the Veela beast of Hogwarts. But your chosen family, that's what I care about."

His heart melts at her words, his fingers tangling in her hair. He leans up and gently brushes his lips against hers, admitting lowly, "I've never had a girlfriend before."

Gwen smiles, pressing her lips firmer against his for a brief moment before she replies quietly, "I've never had a boyfriend before...unless you count Jonathan Wood."

Sirius scowls at the name, eyes narrowing when Gwen laughs at his obvious disapproval. She smushes his cheeks together to make him quit frowning, saying teasingly, "At least you don't have to suck up to my family."

Sirius chuckles, shaking his head and prying her hands away from his face as he retorts, "Please, Ninnie. I've got Dorcas, Marlene, and Lily to suck up to. That's even worse."

Gwen watches him as he grows quiet, a line appearing between his brows. Her heart clenches and her smile fades. She didn't want him to leave either. Truly. But they both had things to do. And truthfully she was slightly scared that she was growing dependent. She liked waking up next to someone, cooking for more than herself. She liked having the Marauders here. Liked the noise and the laughter and the inside jokes she was becoming apart of. She hadn't had family for so long that the prospect of being near them and becoming dependent on them was terrifying.

But he looked scared too. And while she had good tuition, she certainly couldn't read his mind. She tries to give him insight into her own thoughts, tries to emote. Her passiveness was natural to her, but she knew he liked seeing what she was thinking and feeling. So she frowns a little, but her voice is still blunt when she says,

"You look very broody."

Sirius blinks at her for a beat of silence then huffs out a laugh. His fingers come up to play with the ends of her hair, gently tugging before twirling a strand around his finger. His lips twitch into a crooked smile. Gwen smiles slightly at the sight of his more relaxed face. She grabs his free hand from where it rests on her hip.

Sirius watches in amusement as she folds down his pinkie and then his ring finger and then his thumb, leaving just his index and his middle finger up. He softens pathetically, wondering why he'd waited so long to be with this girl. To be anything to this girl.

Gwen smile and points to his two fingers, saying gently, "Two weeks, Black. And then I'm yours."

Sirius chuckles, "I like the sound of that, Whitlock."

He slides his hand from her hair to the back of her neck, pulling her down to kiss her smiling lips. Sirius sighs when she tilts her head, slanting her mouth on his so perfectly it has his toes curling. He gently grazes her lip with his teeth before biting down, slowly tugging and sucking until a cute little noise sounds from the back of Gwen's throat.

Gwen returns the favor, her teeth nipping his lower lip before she languidly slides her tongue against his. Slow, slow and lazy like they've been doing this forever. Maybe they've both been waiting to do this forever. Sirius pulls her closer, embarrassed that sadness is making him feel desperate. Two weeks was nothing. But these last few days...getting a taste of freedom with Gwenyth Whitlock, seeing her swim, seeing her and the lads laugh, getting to dance with her...it made two weeks seem like two years. He wanted to wake up and go to sleep every day with this girl. Because she was his freedom.

He groans when she pulls back slightly, quickly cupping her cheeks and pressing quick, open mouthed kisses to her sweet lips. Gwen fists his shirt, sighing in pleasure. This boy was an addiction. One greater than acid pops or magazines. Certainly better. Finally they separate and Gwen stands, holding out her hand to him.

Sirius groans dramatically as he grabs it and climbs to his feet, reluctantly following her to where his bags sit by the door. She opens it, stepping out with him onto the driftwood path.

The smell of jasmine and the sea swirls around them, bringing a tiny smile to Sirius face. He glances down the way where the tulips they planted sway slightly in the breeze.

Gwen grins when his charcoal eyes land on her, a laugh escaping him when he grunts,

"Bloody inferi. Turning me into a sodding girl."

"I'd miss me too. I'm rather fun to hang out with," She quips before whispering theatrically, "And I'm a fantastic shag."

Sirius barks out a laugh of his own, pulling her into a tight hug. He leans back, peppering her face with kisses until she laughs some more, pushing at his chest.

It takes everything in him to step away. But the wry smile on her face reminds him that they've got plenty of time. Time that two weeks won't put a dent in.

"Two weeks," Sirius confirms.

Gwen nods, crossing her arms and saying, "Two weeks. If you can manage to be away from me for that long."

Sirius just shakes his head, smirking and offering cheekily, "I'll have lots of dirty dreams to keep me going. Bye, Ninnie."

Gwen squawks indignantly when he apparates before she can retort, staring at the spot where he disappeared. A begrudging smile worms it's way onto her face.

Sirius had finally gotten the last word.