Chapter 83

{{What is wrong with me. I can't stop writing!}}

Gwen left the three Marauders to rest for the day, promising to try and collect notes for them.

Classes seemed to fly by, and Gwen had never been so diligent. Even Flitwick asked if she was feeling okay, eyes bugging out of his skull when he saw her neatly written notes from his lecture.

After lunch time and Herbology she only had a free period left, so she skips out on the library and heads straight towards the hospital wing. She scoots past a few sparse groups of students, humming to herself.

Gwen passes one with familiar grey eyes and reaches out for their arm before thinking about it. She quickly removed her hand when they hiss in pain.

"Fuck, Gwen," Regulus grunts, clutching his arm tightly. The Veela blinks at him silently, glancing down at where his hand and Slytherin robes cover his left arm. Her mouth runs dry, intuition telling her exactly what lay beneath his grip. She panics slightly, wondering how she'd left the boy alone for long enough to make brash decisions. The words that come out of her mouth aren't exactly what she'd intended to say,

"Want to come with me?"

Regulus looks at her like she's grown another head, giving her time to assess his pale skin and purple under eyes. Her heart twists uncomfortably, but she relaxes when his curiosity clearly gets the best of him and he wonders,

"Where?"

Gwen smiles faintly, glad she's piqued his interest. She couldn't let him go now, not when she'd finally seen him after a month. Regulus shoots her a wary look when her smile turns into a mischievous grin.

"If you can answer my riddle, I'll tell you where. But if you get it wrong you just have to come with me," She replies, tone unbothered and relaxed. Regulus scoffs. He knew Gwen was smart, but he also considered himself rather good at riddles.

"Fine," He says flatly, pulling his bag up higher over his shoulder and waiting expectantly.

Gwen blinks at him, saying calmly, "I speak without a mouth and hear without ears. I have no body, but come alive with wind. What am I?"

Regulus' brow furrowed and he chews on the inside of his cheek, making a tiny disgruntled noise in the back of his throat. He hadn't heard this one before.

"Speak without a mouth...." He murmurs, trying to decode the damned riddle. He grows more frustrated at the unwavering amusement on Gwen's face, her enjoyment unfortunately obvious to him. He tugs at his sleeve, running over the possible answers. He feels unsure about his final guess, muttering uncertainly,

"A ghost?"

Gwen just smiles, grabs his hand and begins pulling him in the opposite direction he was heading. He scowls to himself, asking, "Aren't you going to tell me the answer?"

"After." She quips, earning another disgruntled noise from the 6th year. She bites back a laugh when he asks irritably, "Are you always like this?!"

"Ask Sirius," She responds plainly, peering over her shoulder just in time to see him exasperatedly roll his eyes. Regulus' feet freeze when he sees the approaching doors of the hospital wing, yanking Gwen back and asking uncomfortably,

"Why—"

"Do you want the answer to the riddle or not?" She wonders, staring up at him with clear eyes. Regulus frowns, hesitating. He was worried about why the Veela was bringing him here...but he also desperately wanted to know the answer. He didn't like leaving puzzles unsolved. He sighs and nods, sending her a flat look when she winks and pushes open the doors.