Chapter 123

{{this is way longer than a usual chapter, but I hate to split these ones in half. MATURE}}

Gwen can't help her eyes as they drift across the room, drawn to a particular Gryffindor with dark hair and grey eyes.

The first kiss of the new year had knocked her silly. She'd wanted more, craved more. So when she and Sirius separated, she distanced herself under the guise of using the loo.

When she returned Sirius was embroiled in conversation with James and Remus and Peter, giving her time to catch her breath.

Fleamont and Mia had taken her under their wing, guiding her to meet the last few stragglers of the party. One by one, guests say a farewell to the Potters, many of them taken aback by the sight of a Veela standing stoically between them. Fleamont found it rather amusing.

"I quite like having you around, Gwen," Monty chuckles. "You've turned some of my least favorite businessmen into my most treasured guests."

Gwen snorts and rolls her eyes, replying simply, "It's my enthralling personality."

Mia laughs and squeezes the girls arm, saying warmly, "I've prepared one of the guest rooms for you. The same one you had last time!"

Gwen goes to protest, frowning slightly "Oh, Mia—"

"I won't take no for an answer," The witch chides, pulling the girl into a quick hug before departing for her and Fleamont's room. He winks at her and says lowly, "It is good to have you back, Gwen. Please do stay, I'm afraid Mia would throw a fit."

Gwen offers a hesitant smile and a nod, bidding him a goodnight. Her eyes again drift to where the Marauders are talking, her heart melting at the sight of Remus and Regulus with their arms wrapped around each other. They were a good pair.

Instead of walking over to say goodnight, she decides to head towards the stairs. She slips by Lily tipsily chatting with Marlene and Dorcas, a small smile playing at her lips. She felt like her whole body was letting out a sigh of relief. Her friends were still here, despite the secrets she'd chosen to keep.

She holds on tight to the railing as she climbs the stairs, her mind weary and ready for sleep. She hums quietly to herself as she moves, her lips twitching when she reaches the landing with James and Sirius room. She walks past the door, admittedly a little excited to be sleeping here again. They had rather good mattresses.

Gwen reaches for the door that leads to the room she stayed in last time, her smile growing at the memory. She freezes when a large hand reaches from around her and grabs her wrist. Her heart beats harder against her chest and she takes a deep breath in to calm her nerves.

When she turns she feels like she's going to explode. Sirius looks down at her silently, his face half shrouded in shadows while the other side bathes in moonlight. She's not sure what look this is, what mood this is. But his hand is warm on her wrist and her heart longs for him. She swipes her tongue out to wet her suddenly dry lips, her eyes flickering across his stoic face.

She eyes him, equally as quiet. Sirius nearly speaks, but stops short when she reaches behind her back and turns the knob, the door swinging open and creaking in the silence. Sirius' eyes are dark, a swirling pool of unreadable emotions as she backs into the guest room.

He follows willingly. He's almost certain he'd follow her anywhere. He shuts the door behind him and leans back against the wood, chest rising and falling evenly despite how electrified he feels. His mouth runs dry and he lets go of her arm when she turns and whispers,

"Can you get my zipper?"

Sirius nods once, his hands reaching up and gently brushing the nape of her neck. He slowly moves the zipper down her back, his eyes mapping the smooth expanse of her bare skin. He sharply exhales when the zip ends, his fingers delicately touching her spine.