Chapter 16

"Remind me again how I got roped into this?"

It had been a regular night for Gwen, including avoiding doing her homework and dozing off by the Ravenclaw fireplace. Dorcas had shaken her awake, whispering, "The boys want you. They wont stop yelling, but Gwen...I can't see them!!!"

An invisibility cloak, a rather ugly one she thought. James had been greatly offended, but was satisfied by the impressed look on her face when he disappeared under what she had dubbed "an ugly blanket."

"We asked and you said yes," James replies to her question, peering around Remus to grin at her. She smiles back, amused by his excitement. She was smushed between Sirius and Remus, Peter and James squishing under the cloak as well. It was really rather crowded.

"I don't recall being asked," She says briefly, letting out a gusty sigh as she thinks about her bed and how she could be tucked in and dreaming by now. Sirius elbows her in the side, mumbling,

"Don't be a fun sucker, Ninnie."

"You know what's fun? Sleep. I think sleep is f—hey!"

Sirius shoves her hard, making her trip over her feet and tumble out from under the invisibility cloak. She lands in a pile of crossed limbs and messy hair, blowing to get the strands out of her mouth as she barks irritably,

"You don't have to be so pushy, Black."

He glances at Remus, eyebrows raised at her surprising tone. He couldn't recall her ever sounding that instantly irritated before. They all freeze when they suddenly hear a loud 'meow'

Gwen's eyes widen when she looks over her shoulder and sees brown matted fur and yellow eyes. Mrs. Norris.

"Please don't get me in trouble," She begs the cat, scowling when it lets out an even louder meow. Jingling keys sound like they're moving in their direction.

Sirius whispers hurriedly, "Ninnie, get your arse back under here!"

She scrambled to her feet, backing away from the cat and to the group of boys that are hiding just behind her. It's too late. Filch rounds the corner and crows,

"Aha!"

Gwen panics slightly, not exactly excited at the prospect of having detention with the creepy man. So she does something she never had before. She relaxes and sends him a dreamy look, trying desperately to use her charm to get out of this.

The boys all watch in awe as Filch's triumphant sneer turns into a look of wonder. He quickly stammers out,

"I-I'm so sorry for bothering you! You must be doing something important!"

Gwen smiles kindly, internally doing a celebratory dance. Her magic was working. She was using it, actually utilizing it. She hesitates before opening her mouth and saying calmly,

"It's alright, Mr. Filch. I've got everything under control. You can go to bed now."

The Marauders all stare, jaws dropped open at the musical sound of her voice. Curiosity struck Remus, the lanky boy deciding that he would definitely do some research on veela...and why her charm didn't truly work on him.

Filch just smiles dreamily and nods, saying sweetly, "Okay, dear. Have a splendid night!"

Gwen nods, waving as he turns back around with Mrs. Norris following swiftly behind. When she turns, her eyes are angry despite her flat expression. Sirius stills from beneath the cloak, her eyes spot on exactly where he's standing.

"You lot owe me one," She insists, fighting back a smile when James pokes his head out from the cloak and says honestly,

"That is the coolest thing I've ever seen."

Three more heads join his, facing her with amazement on their faces. She feels a surge of undeniable pride. She'd been so hung up on being embarrassed by her blood, by her change in appearance. She missed being hidden, because she really was simple in nature. Reluctantly, with the help of the boy's impressed looks, she could admit that maybe it was the tiniest bit cool.

Sirius smiles slightly, noting the change on her face. She looks bashful, maybe even a little bit excited. He hesitates, then asks quietly,

"Was that your first time using it?"

Her cheeks turn pink and she shrugs, mumbling, "is it that obvious?"

He wants to tell her that everything about her magic is obvious. Her energy demands attention, her allure is constantly pulling people in. Not just boys that think she's pretty, but everyone. Teachers, ghosts, even the sodding portraits want to talk to her. He nearly tells her that forgettable is the last word he would use to describe her, certainly not plain. Because while she is a mystery, a frustrating challenge that he frequently finds himself puzzling over, she's also an open book that's waiting patiently to be read.

"Uh," He finally shakes himself from his thoughts, clearing his throat. He can feel James and Remus smirking at him and he wants to tell them to piss off.

"No," he finally says. "I thought you played it off quite well, Whitlock."

Her grin is brilliant, toothy and mischievous and proud all in one go.

"Thanks, Black. I reckon I did practice on you after all."

A month ago it would've made him mad. But he just smirks and rolls his eyes, grunting,

"Come off it, Ninnie. Now are we doing this or not?!"

James claps his hands together excitedly while Peter holds up the edge of the cloak for her to sneak back under. She squeezes in between James and Remus, and Sirius feels an odd twist in his chest at the action. The back of his mind screams to label the emotion 'disappointment' but he waves it aside, biting his tongue as the group continue on.

Gwen feels a prickling in her chest and she glances over, her brow furrowing slightly at Sirius' clenched jaw and forward facing eyes. He looks mad, but moments ago he was smiling. She shrugs and bites back a sigh, finding that she was having trouble keeping up with his fast changing emotions.

Especially since she was having trouble keeping up with her own.