Chapter 39

Gwen didn't go to make star charts that week.

She showed up in class, but focused on her work, being polite but not open. Sirius found himself wishing that they could just go back to the beach as the days wore on. He felt like they'd lost all of their progress. That he was completely blocked out from her now, any strides he'd made in being able to read her were disappearing as time wore on.

It was February now, and watching her go out with Fabian Prewett on Valentine's Day had nearly killed him. Even when he was supposed to be distracted by Marie, some Hufflepuff he'd randomly said yes to a date to while he'd been busy watching Gwen.

He wished he had the map, so he could see where Gwen was in the castle. Where she hid from him. He tried to find her in the kitchen or the unused classroom. He'd gotten drunk on the Astronomy tower a few times in an attempt to lure her like he had the one time. Foolish, but he was desperate.

He stares aimlessly at the back of her head, his cauldron laying practically unattended next to him. She was chatting and smiling with Dorcas. She would smile at everyone, talk to everyone. Just not him.

He sighs, laying his head down on his desk. He tries to convince himself that this month's full moon had wore him down even though Remus was having an easier time. But he knows it's her. The Marauders knew too. Gwen was polite and chatted with them, but she was even distant with James and Remus and Peter. They missed her too, missed the group that had just been starting to form.

Gwen and Dorcas finish brewing second only to Lily and Remus, the two ravenclaws packing up their things before they leave. Sirius immediately sits up, trying to catch her pale gaze. But she brushes past his table, Dorcas sending him a sympathetic smile as they go.

"You could at least say hi to him," Dorcas says quietly. "You're like the new James and Lily."

Gwen bristles slightly at her friend, but Dorcas only looks kind and sympathetic. The Veela sighs and mumbles, "I will, I'm just...I just feel confused."

"Maybe you'd be less confused if you'd talk," Dorcas offers. She quickly hugs Gwen and whispers, "Give him a chance. I'll see you later."

Gwen watches her friend disappear down the hall. She stands quietly for a moment, but then the bell rings and students flood the halls. She panics slightly when she hears her name being called, so she pushes on. She keeps her eyes on the ground, reaching into her pocket for a sweet just as she slams into someone.

Hands scoop under her arms, pulling her up to her feet as a voice grumbles, "You shouldn't watch the ground while you walk."

Gwen smiles faintly, brushing off her skirt before looking up. She freezes, her eyes meeting a familiar set of charcoal grey. Her brow furrows for a moment, and then she realizes that this isn't Sirius. This is his brother.

"Oh," Gwen says simply. "You're Regulus."

He seems surprised by the use of his name, and he flushes when he realizes who it was he was talking to. Gwenyth Whitlock was well known in all houses, and Regulus frequently had to listen to his peers go back and forth on how she was beautiful and how she was a beast. The current rotation was that she was a foul, manipulative beast. But right now he certainly knew where he stood. He smiles slightly and grabs her outstretched hand, shaking it and replying quietly, "You're Gwen."

"Yes," She laughs and his eyes widen, not sure he'd ever heard a sound like it before. Yep. She was beautiful, certainly not a beast. Though he knew exactly what his mother and father's opinions on Veela were. He hesitates before asking,

"You...you know my brother, yes?"

He notes the way her smile fades slightly and Regulus feels a twinge of regret. Maybe they weren't friends. But then she answers,

"Yes, I suppose I do. Did you want me to give him a message?"

Regulus grows uncomfortable under her pale eyes. If they weren't sparkling with curiosity, they'd look lifeless. He looks over her head and sees the exact person that they're talking about, glaring at them with unbridled rage on his face. He watches as his brother shoved past his friends in the opposite direction, steam practically rolling off of him. Regulus' throat grows tight. He missed him. More than Sirius missed him evidently.

"Uh," Regulus says lowly. "I don't think so. He didn't seem very happy to see you talking to me."

He's startled by the veela's tone when she shrugs and says flatly, "He's mad when I talk to anyone. I'm ignoring him, so he's rather grumpy these days."

Regulus feels his frown twitch slightly. When was the last time he smiled, he wonders to himself. Gwen quirks a brow and asks,

"It seems you're ignoring him too."

"Not ignoring," Regulus says quickly. "Just..."

Gwen waves him off, not pressuring him for an answer. It wasn't any of her business, despite how curious she was feeling. She knew Sirius was already going to be pissed at her, so she figured it was best to not be nosy about his family life.

"I'm headed to the library. Care to join me?" Gwen offers, not thinking too much about it.

Regulus blinks at her in surprise. Not only was she a Veela that boys practically threw punches over to get near. She was a sixth year. He didn't know many sixth years.

"I don't think my—"

"Your friends will be mad? Because I'm not pureblood?"

He freezes at the question, feeling an odd combination of indignant and embarrassed. She's nonchalant though. Unassuming. He pauses before nodding slightly.

Gwen laughs again, saying cheekily, "Well, that's fine. Lots of people don't like me, but I think you'll be shocked to realize that I'm not much different than you are."

He wants to laugh in her face. She was nothing like him. And that was a good thing. She shrugs and begins walking away, leaving him standing silently in the corridor. Then he follows after her, saying awkwardly,

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt to do some studying."

Gwen grins, teasing the young boy,

"That's the spirit. And don't worry, I won't charm you with my disgusting blood magic."