Chapter 14

Gwen yawns loudly, hunkering down in her favorite Gryffindor armchair.

The incident between Gwen and Sirius in the bathroom had lead to a truce of sorts, much to the surprise of Lily, Dorcas, and Marlene. The Marauders were secretly thrilled, tired of Sirius groaning and plotting against the Veela.

Remus smiles down at her from his own chair, asking quietly, "Why don't you go to bed?"

"I can't," she complains. "I've got to stay up till Midnight. Bloody Astronomy class."

Lily laughs from her spot on the sofa, teasing, "I bet Dorcas is already warm and cozy in your dorm."

Gwen sends her a flat look, saying grumpily, "You're lucky I like you, Evans."

Lily snickers, turning back to her reading. Marlene was already asleep, as well as Peter. James had refused to go to sleep while Lily was still awake, his head bobbing every few seconds as he grew sleepier and sleepier.

Gwen had decided that she rather liked the boy when he wasn't trying to prank her. He was funny, and very determined. Gwen sends a pointed look at Lily before nodding her head at James. The ginger frowns, sighing and saying reluctantly,

"Potter."

James abruptly sits up straight, quickly fixing his glasses and saying quickly, "Yes, Lilyflower??"

"Go to bed!"

He grins and scoots closer, making her shuffle the opposite direction. They do this until Lily is nearly spilling off the couch.

"If you give me a kiss I'll leave you alone," James propositions. Lily purses her lips and insists, "That's harassment, Potter."

Gwen smiles slightly, shrugging when Lily looks her way exasperatedly. Lily sighs and pecks James' cheek, making him turn bright red. He's taken completely by surprise, making Remus chuckle loudly at his expense.

Gwen stifles her laughter, deciding it's best that she leave before James and Lily fight as James begins to boast about getting a kiss. She stands and grabs her bag, saying flatly, "I suppose I'll go look at the stars now. Wish me luck."

Lily grumbles, "Lucky," while Remus and James wave goodbye.

She gets to the Astronomy tower without much trouble, but she certainly takes her time, not too bothered with getting there right at midnight. When she finally climbs the steps she wrinkles her nose at the students gawking at the sky.

"You're late,"

She glances behind her and sees Sirius standing broodingly, his telescope held between his hands. He grins cheekily, no longer bummed by his inability to scare her. He still liked the challenge, but reckoned it was more fun than annoying.

"I didn't realize that I was being timed," Gwen replies simply, smiling up at the boy. He rolls his eyes at her bored tone and gestures for her to join him where he's standing. Instead of reaching into her bag for her own telescope, he thrusts his into her hands.

The Veela hesitates before peering through it. Sirius has to try to not laugh at the sight of her squinted eye and disgruntled frown.

"What am I even looking at?" She wonders, trying to identify the constellation in front of her.

"That's Canis Major."

Gwen laughs to herself before she can stop it, her eyes lingering on the brightest star.

"You're ego is astounding, Black."

Sirius chuckles and reaches up, gently grasping the middle of the telescope and pointing it towards another grouping of stars.