Chapter 27, 1989 : My Lovely Child

With little cracking sounds Melisande's skin began to crack and fall apart, revealing pale skin underneath. She began to move her hands a little, she tried to look around, but her eyes were still covered in stone.

Arane stepped forward and helped her, getting rid of the stone that was clinging to her hair.

Slowly her breast started to move up and down and when she opened her eyes all of the stone fell down like dust. She let go of the rose that was falling now into the water, losing her petals.

For a few moments she stopped moving and was just sitting there. Her hair had a white strand, her skin was nearly white, her eyes silver, her lips a little blue. On her arms and legs she had grey spots. Melisande looked sick and weak, but nonetheless beautiful.

Melisande looked over at Arane and triet to stand, but fell over. Arane catched her in her arms. "Welcome back, my Queen. Do you remember me?", the spirit asked, holding her mistress. Melisande breathed heavily before she said with a weak, quiet voice: "Arane..."

The spirit smiled.

About an hour later Melisande was seated in a wheelchair in a room near the greenhouse. Arane had given her a bath and had dressed her in a simple pale blue gown. Now the old spirit brushed her golden hair.

"How long have I... been dead?", she asked, looking at herself in the mirror. She looked exactly like she had when she died. The only thing being different was the withe strand of hair on the right side. "19 years." Melisande looked shocked and tried to stand, but her legs were too weak.

"I... I missed my daughter's whole childhood?" "She was the one saving you, my Queen." Melisande looked at her with wide eyes. "What..?" "Yes, she has grown into a wonderful woman. She reminds me of you. Since she was able to think she wanted to cure you. The Lord helped her."

"Has Alcina fallen in love again?", she asked further and prepared her heart to be shattered. "No. The lady of the house has not fallen in love again. She still wears the ring of your engagement and refuses to meet other men and women." Melisande smiled lightly at this answer and looked at her right hand, at the ring on her finger.

"You will meet them soon. It's best that they tell you the whole story. I will bring you into the opera hall." Melisande looked a little shocked. "No! I mean... I can't. I don't..." Arane took her hands in hers. "They missed you.", the old lady explained, while Melisande looked at herself in the mirror. She did not know what to feel. Being alive after so many years felt wrong. She should not be here. She was weak and tired. Nothing reminded her of the strong witch she once was. "I look weak and fragile. I don't want my daughter and only surviving child to see me like this." Arane nodded and finished putting the golden curls into a low bun.

"Let me finish here and I promise that you will look every inch a queen."

~oOo~

"Lady Dimitrescu?" The Lady looked at the open door. Arane was standing there, a light smile on her face. The Countess triet to smile back, but she was too sad. Instead she turned to face the window and looked down into her gardens like Melisande had done the day of death. "Please excuse my melancholic mood, Arane.",she said and sighed deeply. The old spirit stepped forward, noticing the portrait hanging on the wall near her bed. "This is a really beautiful painting.", she said. Alcian turned around. "Yet it is not able to show her beauty in all its greatness.", while she spoke, a light smile began to form on her ruby lips. "Why don't you go and play something for her?", the old lady said and turned around to leave. "I beg your pardon?",the lady followed her. "You see, my Queen loved your playing and I bet she would love to hear it once more."

Minutes later Alcina sat in front of her piano in the opera hall. She tried not to cry when she played the song the both of them sang before her death. "Forgive me, my love.", she said into the seemingly empty room,"I should have protected you, but I have not. I beg for your forgiveness."