Chapter 26, 1970/89: Mother

It was not until half an hour later, that Alcina noticed Melisande's absence and first she thought that her fiancé was just away to use the restroom, but when time went on and she did not come back Alcina started to get worried.

"Maybe she has already gone back to the castle", Daniela said while carrying her little sister Saiya in her arms. "That's not like her.", Daniela marked out. "Maybe we should go back and check on her.", Heisenberg said, taking his hat from the blanket.

They went back and began to search for the witch. Only Donna remained silent the whole time. She did not yell her name, because she could not sense Melisande's presens any longer.

When Alcina opened the door to their private room she found it empty. Everything was as they had left. It smelled like lavender, the golden ornaments shone in the late sun's light. The Countess looked at her bed and found a note, written in Melisande's clear and beautiful handwriting. It only contained three words. "I love you"

As she read this her soft smile began to vanish. Something was wrong. She could feel it.
Carefully she placed Saiya in her crib and waited until the baby was safe asleep. When she rose the door opened and Karl entered. Without waiting for his sister to say anything he shook his head:"Can't find her. Donna is crying downstairs and refuses to tell us why." Alcina stepped forward."Have you searched for her in the greenhouse?",she asked, her voice sounding hoarse and heavy. He shook his head. "Should I-" Alcina interrupted him. "No. I will look there myself. Stay here with Saiya."

She left without waiting for an answer. Her heart felt heavy, like it was about to crush her insides. Deep inside her she knew what was waiting for her, but she refused to accept it. It just couldn't be. She couldn't be...

"Melisande?",she shouted, but not as loud as she had before, because she knew she would not answer. She would not shout back. Her heels on the floor made the only sound hearable besides her heartbeat. Her hands were shaking when she stood in the hallway leading to the greenhouse. This hallway already was filled with plants, covering the walls, the ceiling. Flowers in all kinds of colours, exotic fragrances filled the air. The air was stuffy and hot, which made it hard for her to even breathe. Lady Dimitrescu took a last deep breath, trying to prepare herself for what was about to come. Tears gathered in her eyes as she tried to calm herself down.

With slow and hesitant steps she walked into the greenhouse. Big plants prevented her from seeing the fountain, so she reached out for the big petals, brushing them out of sight and stepping near the fountain. She held her gaze down for a moment.

When she looked up, a hoarse scream escaped her mouth, barely even hearable. She fell onto her knees, shaking, crying. Her heart shattered into thousands of pieces then she saw her love.

Melisande was there, sitting on the fountain, one leg drawn near her slim body, the other calmly hanging over the edge. Her once golden hair was falling down her back in light waves. Her eyes were closed, like she had just fallen asleep and a beautiful calm smile adorned her lips. She looked so majestic, so peaceful.

Alcina stood up, gathering all her left power to walk towards her, taking her face in her hands,like she had done so many times before, but there was no reaction. Her "skin" was cold like ice and harder than any metal. The hair she had loved so much was grey, the skin that used to be so soft and warm was now cold and unpleasant to touch, the smile she had fallen in love with looked stiff and the heart that was beating in her chest had turned to stone.

Alcina placed her forehead against Melisande's like she had done just a few hours ago. Tears ran down her face, dropping onto the cold stone. It was at this moment Alicna realised what she had lost and that she wouldn't come back. She was dead. The rose had finally turned her into stone.