Chapter 14, 1970 : Lovers?

"Yes, who is this? Angie on the phone.",a childish, happy voice answered the phone. Alcina took a last deep breath, calming herself down before answering in her usual voice. "Hello Angie, Alcina here. Can I talk to Donna please?" She heard the doll sighting deeply. "You know that she doesn't like talking to people through the phone.", the doll said, a bit annoyed. "Yes of course I know, but it is really important. My… My housekeeper has fallen very ill and I have a few questions and I am afraid that only Donna can answer them." Silence. No one talked for a moment, then Alcina could hear voices in the background. Clearly Angie was trying to get Donna on the phone, but the woman was afraid of them, because she could not see the reactions of her speaking partner, so she was able to react early. Finally she could hear Angie say calmly: "You got this." and then a soft voice talked to her. "Hello Alcina." "Hello Donna, I am sorry that I have to disturb you again." Donna was silent for a short moment as if she was thinking about her answer. "No problem. Angie said something is wrong with Melisande?" Alcina took another deep breath before answering. "Yes, she… I found her on the steps leading from the library to my chambers. She is cold and stiff again…", she made a pause, trying not to start crying again. Donna waited patiently. "I know that your mother died from the same disease and I hoped that you maybe could answer me a few questions concerning this problem." Alcina played with her necklace while she waited for an answer. Donna was not too talkative, especially not on the phone. She had improved her social skills a lot during the last years, but she was still kinda shy. Why she talked to Melisande like nothing had ever made her mentally sick, was a question the Countess was not able to answer.

"Of course."
"Alright, so… What happens if you cannot defeat this sickness?",Alcina asked, afraid of the answer.
"You die.", Donna whispered, but it seemed like she had something to add, but hesitated, "It is not always the same way they die. I've read from people who turned to stone completely, others die because their lungs stop functioning, because of petrification…", she was silent again, "My mother died because her heart turned to stone. She just fell to the ground and stopped breathing. "
Alcina took a deep breath once again. Melisande was breathing, but not moving, maybe it wasn't too late. "I am sorry to hear that, Donna.", the Lady said when she heard a slight snooping from the other end of the phone. "Is there any healing?"
"From what mother told me, it is only possible to survive a Ruby Rose by creating Ruby Rose yourself."
"That's what Melisande is trying to do with the rose you gave her?"
"Yes, she feeds the rose with her blood, so she cannot get poisoned by it when she blooms."
Alcina looked irritated. "Can you explain that to me?
Sounds of papers being sorted came through the phone. In the background Alcina heard Angie say:"No worries you did everything good so far." This made Alcina smile. To hear how a doll was trying to make her owner more comfortable was a bit strange, but lovely at the same time. Without Angie Donna would be pretty lost and although Angie could be quite crazy at times, she was what made Donna feel loved and what reminded her of her family.
"The process of making a Ruby Rose is complicated and I don't know a single chase where an infected person succeeded. To break it down: You need a rose that once lived with a Ruby Rose. My mother found one and I gave it to Melisande. This rose will not bloom and it has no colour, it is like glass. You have to feed the rose by dropping blood on her petals. It has to be the blood of the infected person. When the rose grows she will know the blood and you can only be poised once by a Ruby Rose, the moment she knows your blood she is not dangerous for you anymore. However you will need the blood of another person. A person who is willing to give the rose her blood. For this person this rose will be the absolute demise -"
" Sorry that I interrupted you, but this other person… will they die when giving their blood to the rose?"
"No, but when they get stung."
"This sounds easy. Too easy."
"The poisoned one will suffer a lot. This is why most of them don't get their roses to bloom. But when she blooms you win. Melisande then has to stung herself at the rose and then she should be free of the poison, but as I said, I don't know anyone who survived."
Alcina was silent for a few moments. The chances of her surviving were low, but what about the baby?
"One last question."
"I am listening."
"Can the baby survive moments like that? Moments when she is so stiff and cold?"Her voice was a bit shaking.
" I don't know, but I assume that as long as the disease doesn't spread through the umbilical cord the baby will live."

The door of the room opened and Bela entered, waiting for her mother to give the permission to speak. The lady did so with a gesture of her hand. "She is awake, mother." Alcinas heart jumped. She turned around again. "Thank you so much for your time, Donna. You did a great job." They said goodbye and hung up.

The Countess entered the room carefully. Immediately looking at the pale, almost dead looking woman, in her bed. Bela had dressed her in a white robe and her wet hair was lying neatly around her head. The blue spots on her body were nearly gone, but her skin still had a grey shimmer to it. When Melisande noticed Alcina bending down to fit through the door, she smiled weakly, reaching out for her with one hand. Alcina took her hand in hers immediately and sat down on the edge. She looked into her silver eyes, trying to sense the heartbeat of the baby. She became restless and an uneasy feeling creeped up her stomach. She was about to tear up when she finally sensed a heart beating not nearly as strong as the heart of Melisande. She released the air she had kept in her lungs for quite some time and kissed Melisande's hand in relief.

"Is everything alright? You seem so glad.", Melisande asked with a light voice. "If I am alright?!"Alcina looked up immediately with an expression on her face that was showing disbelief. "You were lying on the stairs without any sign of life. I thought you died! I thought your child died…" Alcina looked away and tried to collect herself. Melisande sat up straight and got on her knees, hugging Alcina. "I am sorry. I should have told you about my plan. I never thought that the pain would be this bad." Alcina looked down at her, putting her arms around Melisande's waist. "Never scare me again or you will pay.", she said, burying her face in her housekeeper's neck. "Never again.", Melisande assured, cupping Alcinas face and giving her a light kiss.

At that moment Cassandra walked in, seeing Melisande sitting on her mothers lap, kissing her passionately. Cassandra stood there quietly, just staring at the situation. "Are you two lovers?", she finally asked, making her mother look up in surprise.

She did not know what to answer, so she said: "I taught you to knock on my door before you enter, didn't I?" She hoped that she would not have to answer her question. Of course Alcina wanted to answer with a >yes<, but how did Melisande feel about their relationship? They kissed and they certainly felt something for each other, but were they lovers? Melisande had touched her intensively, but Alcina never had touched her like that. She was pregnant and the lady did not know if there were any risks having sex while being pregnant.

She was drawn back to reality, when Melisande stood up and answered the question for her. "Yes we are…", she placed her hand on her little baby bump, "... and I hope that you and your sisters will accept my child as one of yours." Cassandra stood there staring. She looked as surprised as her mother, but collected herself rather quickly. "Y-yes of course. You may excuse me?", with that she nearly ran out of the room, leaving a chuckling Melisande and a stunned Alcina.

"What did you just say?", she asked quietly in disbelief. Melisande stepped closer to Alcina. "Was this wrong?" Alcina stood to let herself fall on her knees again, placing her hands on Melisande's waist, pulling her a bit closer. "No, no! I am delighted. I am honored. You just made me a very happy woman.", she said before placing a kiss on Melisande's belly.